Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
How is the global football community able to justify a Russian world cup in 2 years time?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Surely there is a point where even the money is too tainted for FIFA!?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

We'll yes to a degree and FIFA is slowly unraveling because of it but it's too far down the line now to see it being stripped from Russia. With Russia's reputation for arranging fatal 'accidents' to happen to anyone rocking the boat, would you take a stand against them if you were a FIFA official. Just look at what happened to the former head of their drug testing programme who conveniently suffered a fatal heart attack just before he was about to blow the whistle on what he knew. Russia is an endemically corrupt country from its government, police and at all levels of public life, essentially it's a country run by a large organised criminal network. Take it on at your peril.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Bit late to worry about that now, just wait for the prosecutions

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't imagine anyone wanting to go out there for the World Cup. It will be absolute carnage.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I still can't imagine it will happen.

Imagine, if you're black, they are racist, if you're gay they are homophobic, if you're English....

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can't imagine anyone wanting to go out there for the World Cup. It will be absolute carnage.

I think the English FA should put a blanket ban on travelling fans, due to the threat of violence, homophobia and racist attitudes.

Anyone going seriously has to consider there safety.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Imagine the amount of black market tickets that will flood the event! And then Putin will use this as a PR exercise to show how powerful he is, quite a party in store.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How is the global football community able to justify a Russian world cup in 2 years time?

That's what they said about Euro 96

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I remember this on TV not so long ago:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...rner-of-the-world-was-one-i-couldnt-turn-down

Unfortunately the whole programme is not still available, but I watched it and sat sadly shaking my head, at the time.

Well of course every country has extremists of all types, and in every country they are the minority. In some cointries however they take over and if you don't 'sign up' you are in trouble. The thing is, we all judge everything by our own standards. So, when I grew up, being shouty and luzzing chairs was simply not on my radar. So when I first saw it I was shocked. Eventually I got used to it, but I still avoid shouty places, especially when the shoutiness gets provocative. I am not going into details because the detail is irrelevant.

My POINT is that in Russia the norms are different to ours. To the sort of people in the TV programme, it is obvious the blacks jews and homosexuals are subhumans, and it isn't even a discussion point. In the wider society in Russia, from my experience of Russians at work (and these are 'educated') there is a toleration of things most of us English would regard as unacceptable.

Personally, if feel that Russia can do what it likes. It is an independent country. But the consequence (should we engage with them?) are for US to decide.

The Russian 'electrorate' are not clamouring for our sort of democracy as far as I can see, and in my view it is a criminal rogue state where mouthing off about reform may well get you killed. And most people there aren't bothered because they think they are better off than they used to be, and have loads of dazzling prejudices and attitudes (and vodka) to sustain themselves. Yes, there are equivalent types here, different set of rules, different prejudices, similar self delusion. But I digress. Russia is what it is. If you go there for football, and you are naive, it would be wise to find out about their rules of engagement.

In my view there should be no major competition there, but as someone else said, money changed hands.

Should we boycott it? On our own? If we could persuade other nations to join us we might have a hope. However we have spent 40 years disengaged with FIFA and EUFA. We have a long history of not bothering to put up candidates for election, or even bothering to turn up to meetings. We had had past leaders like Bert Millichip who were dinosaur cocks, happier drinking a pint and having a fag and not remotely interested in what the foreigners were up to. We thought we were entitled to run football becaue we invented it, and yet didn't bother to engage with people who we now need as allies (against the Russians). **** me! It is EXACTLY like the Eurpean political debate. We could 'leave FIFA and just stick with the home championships'...... sadly if anything is going to be done about Russia we just have to hope that Europe, with America as an ally, decide to lead against them. That sentence applies both to FIFA and to wider politics. How very ironic . . . .

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The Russians in France are the rich ones, the gangsters, patrons of oligarchs, family of oligarchs etc, the ones with money. In 2018 in Russia you will be dealing with all the low life who will be wanting to jump on the bashing the English, German, Poles, Blacks, Asians, Yanks etc and whoever else they hate, anyone who goes there must be mental.

It would be nice if the FA said no thanks we won't be entering.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Russians in France are the rich ones, the gangsters, patrons of oligarchs, family of oligarchs etc, the ones with money. In 2018 in Russia you will be dealing with all the low life who will be wanting to jump on the bashing the English, German, Poles, Blacks, Asians, Yanks etc and whoever else they hate, anyone who goes there must be mental.

It would be nice if the FA said no thanks we won't be entering.

Or alternatively our supporters choose not to attend if we qualify. To say that we won't attend is a very haughty attitude. We would be in a rather small minority. Probably of one. It's as if we are forgetting our own history.

Some Russian fans stormed an England section last night.

Millwall v Barnsley ?

Or alternatively our supporters choose not to attend if we qualify. To say that we won't attend is a very haughty attitude. We would be in a rather small minority. Probably of one. It's as if we are forgetting our own history.

Some Russian fans stormed an England section last night.

Millwall v Barnsley ?

With fans safety/lives in danger i think the only option should to be to withdraw! Let the polish/dutch and germans take the stick!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
With fans safety/lives in danger i think the only option should to be to withdraw! Let the polish/dutch and germans take the stick!

I wouldn't withdraw. If the Foreign Office feels that folk shouldn't travel then they should issue that advice. But to withdraw leaves justifiable claims of hypocrisy. Russia clearly has a worse problem than we have/had, yes, but taking our ball home will not cause noticeable change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here