Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handshake

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I quote Wikipedia:
A handshake is a short ritual in which two people grasp one of each other's like hands, in most cases accompanied by a brief up and down movement of the grasped hands.

I was brought up with a firm belief that a strong handshake meant something.
My grandad had a firm vice like shake, which was bordering on bone crushing.
Nowadays I find that most people do not know the meaning, resulting what resembles a wet lettuce handshake.
Your thoughts :)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I quote Wikipedia:
A handshake is a short ritual in which two people grasp one of each other's like hands, in most cases accompanied by a brief up and down movement of the grasped hands.

Nowadays I find that most people do not know the meaning, resulting what resembles a wet lettuce handshake.

Are you lonely tonight? This is a very bizarre thread to start

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm always very distrustful of men with a limp handshake. There should be (mild to medium) pain involved for one or both participants.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
A firm handshake shows you mean business, whereas a limp handshake shows that your opposite number cannot be trusted, in my opinion of course

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A firm handshake shows you mean business, whereas a limp handshake shows that your opposite number cannot be trusted, in my opinion of course

See, to me, a handshake is meant to be a sign of friendship, or at least a lack of enmity. There is, of course, a dispute over the something as old as a handshake, but the most common theory is that it was originally so show that your weapon hand is empty and you offer no threat.

To make it essentially a show of strength goes against this, squeezing someone's hand to show your strength is by its nature a threat, a warning, and not that show of a lack of enmity it's (imo) meant to be.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I quote Wikipedia:

I agree a firm handshake and I seem to like the person .. a handshake like a limp lettuce normally means a social worker

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
People who only offer a wet lettuce handshake may as well not bother all they are doing is pointing their hand out and nothing more.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
"A firm handshake can be seen as a sign of greeting and compassion, but it’s also believed to be one of the easiest methods to transmit germs.
We’ve actually believe this for a long time but perhaps there is new urgency in the mysterious new world of diseases like MERS.

So the recommendation is to treat handshakes like smoking. In other words, since there are a lot of places that simply have smoke free zones, it seems like a good idea to have handshake free zones."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here