Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sidwell (will) sign

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ALBION SET TO SIGN MIDFIELDER

Brighton & Hove Albion have agreed to sign midfielder Steve Sidwell from Stoke City, on a one-year contract from 1st July.

Sidwell, who spent the second half of last season on loan with Albion, will join the club once his contract with the Potters expires at the end of the month.

It will be his third spell with the club and the first time he has signed permanently, having previously twice played for the club on loan.

Albion boss Chris Hughton said, "During his time on loan Steve showed his qualities, and I am delighted he has become our first signing of the close season.

"Steve knows exactly what the Championship is all about and what it takes to get promoted from this level, having achieved that feat with Reading; he is a strong character and a great pro.

"He was excellent for us in the run-in, and was a key figure on and off the pitch as one of the senior members of the squad."

Born in Wandsworth, Sidwell began his career with Arsenal. He spent time on loan under Steve Coppell at both Brentford and Albion, before moving to Reading in January 2003.

He helped the Royals win promotion to the Premier League in 2005, and then joined Jose Mourinho's Chelsea on a free transfer in the summer of 2007.

He's subsequently played in the Premier League for Aston Villa, Fulham and Stoke, making more than 400 senior appearances, scoring 61 goals - five of those coming in his 12-game first spell with Albion.

Sidwell made 18 further appearances for Albion last season, scoring once, a vital late winner at the City Ground in the 2-1 win over Nottingham Forest.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah, I like that. Thank's for the heads up :clap2:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
That in my opinion is good news. Thought he underperformed at first but had a stormer in the last game!

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Yes! That's excellent news! I doubt you'll find a better midfielder on a free fee! If Stephens and Kayal stay, he'll be the best third choice midfielder in the decision!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ok with this. Certainly need to strengthen futher in central midfield.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell, Towell, Cousins..... a good strong central midfield.
Now just need a centre back, right back and of course a couple of strikers :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here