Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

JPT now known as EFL trophy.... Premier league academy teams to be invited

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I wonder if our development team will be invited if a few Premier League teams turn it down as we have a category one academy?

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...demy-teams-english-football-league-trophy-efl

Premier League academy teams will be allowed to play in the EFL Trophy next season after radical plans to revamp the competition were approved at the English Football League’s annual general meeting in Portugal.

Of the 21 existing category one academies - most of them belonging to top-flight teams - 16 are set to be invited to join a 64-team competition which will start with 16 groups of four before becoming a straight knock-out with a final at Wembley.

The Premier League is also understood to have provided £1m to create a total prize fund of £1.95m, with bonuses awarded for each win. The 16 elite academy sides will be evenly distributed throughout the groups with the 48 clubs from Leagues One and Two, with the whole competition running on a north/south basis until the final.

Each team will play each other once in the group stage, with the academy team getting just one home game. The knock-out stages will be single ties apart from the semi-finals, where there will be two legs.

The competition is currently without a title sponsor as Johnstone’s Paints’ contract expired last season, with Barnsley beating Oxford in the last JPT final.

The EFL announced that Ian Lenagan, the owner of Super League rugby league team Wigan Warriors and a former director of Oxford, had been voted in as its new chairman, replacing Greg Clarke.

But as with the vote on the EFL Trophy proposal, it is thought that it was far from unanimous with several clubs voicing their displeasure at the process.

It is also understood that there was some criticism of Lenagan’s record as an ambassador for League Two clubs while at Oxford.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Wonder if they are doing that to make that comp more exciting or it's a tester for things to come:nono:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Tha change of name? the fact the prem academy teams can enter? or both?

Personally i've always liked the JPT as was.

The Prem teams. Any value this competition ever had, as a tangible bit of silverware a small club could win, is now gone. It is now a RESERVE team competition.

The name change is unavoidable if the sponsor has left.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Seeing as the Football League in now known as the English Football League, it's no surprise the Football League Trophy in now known as the English Football League Trophy.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Aesthetically probably the most beautiful trophy in the English game after the FA Cup and certainly a damn sight more iconic looking than that pathetic toy shop tacky Premier League trophy.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This is confusing.

They've been referring to the Capital One Cup as the EFL Cup since the sponsorship ran out as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I genuinely hope that the fans of every L1 and L2 club involved, completely boycott all games against the Academy teams.

This is a horrible decision, and a dangerous precedent. FL fans need to make a stand against it, IMO.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
It's a 1 year trial. The competition is a total failure at the moment until the regional final stage.

Some people are so ****ing precious when it comes to change. If it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm with Hans on this W A N K.

The 4 division FL is T O S S as well.

Why all this change? Is there something seriously wrong with non-Prem football I'm missing?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here