Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we enough leaders in the squad ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Last night listened to Chris Waddle rant at great length about how the current England squad team lacks the experience but more importantly the leaders in 1990 or 1996 - ie: the likes of Paul Ince, Seaman, Tony Adams, Shearer & Sheringham to succeed.

Perhaps he's just being nostalgic. Even though we had those characters, England still didn't win the tournament in 1990 or 1996 anyway.

But given that for us we've now lost Greer, Calde, Zamora and to a certain extent Sidwell then do we have enough leaders in the dressing room and a squad with that mix of experience as well as youth to get us through a 46 game season. We suffered from Dunk's common sense going missing a few times last season, and having to rely on 20 year old Wilson up front was not ideal in the run in.

We'll need a new captain for starters.

But who are our leaders ? Who is organising and talking on the pitch and in the dressing room ?
Stockdale ? Rosenior ? Bruno ? Stephens ?

And does it really matter if Stockdale isn't shouting at his back four after a defensive mishap ?

How many thirtysomethings with presence do we need to consider incoming this summer to ensure we have the right character off the pitch as well as on?

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
King Kayal, obviously - when you watch the game it's quite clear already that he is the leader. Then Stockdale, Goldson, Stephens all have some of those qualities. Could do with one more old head I reckon, maybe Sidwell.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Kayal and Bruno immediately spring to mind, Goldson is also future captain material imo, doesn't take any shit.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Hemed could be an interesting one next season. He has a year of championship football under his belt and should be confident in front of this group of players. Not saying he should be captain or anything, but hopefully he can lead the front line.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I can't bear that whining windbag Chris Waddle and his partner in crimes of footballing negativity, Danny mills. It seems that 5 live keep them locked up for a fortnight, baiting them with tales of their fairly poor performances for England (yes I know about 1990, but Waddle rarely delivered for England), then roll them out to spout their non stop criticisms of everything three lions related.

What makes this even worse is this time, I reluctantly agree with them. No system, no clear starting eleven, no leaders, no partnerships, players playing out of position, no defence and no width. I'm already anticipating a disappointing Euros, but that's just where we are as a side. It's not a golden generation, not yet at least. It's the youngest, most inexperienced squad and it needs time (and better management IMO).

I just wish the press could be balanced and realistic rather than either making us out to contenders or totally destroying them. Waddle whinged a lot about the press in All Played Out, but he's the worst of the lot now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I can't bear that whining windbag Chris Waddle and his partner in crimes of footballing negativity, Danny mills. It seems that 5 live keep them locked up for a fortnight, baiting them with tales of their fairly poor performances for England (yes I know about 1990, but Waddle rarely delivered for England), then roll them out to spout their non stop criticisms of everything three lions related.

What makes this even worse is this time, I reluctantly agree with them. No system, no clear starting eleven, no leaders, no partnerships, players playing out of position, no defence and no width. I'm already anticipating a disappointing Euros, but that's just where we are as a side. It's not a golden generation, not yet at least. It's the youngest, most inexperienced squad and it needs time (and better management IMO).

I just wish the press could be balanced and realistic rather than either making us out to contenders or totally destroying them. Waddle whinged a lot about the press in All Played Out, but he's the worst of the lot now.

Yes, I've heard too much from Mills and Waddle on R5L of late. Last night Mills (and may Waddle?) was on with Jenas, who was trying to fathom out what they were saying. Jenas is impressive in my view.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Yes, I've heard too much from Mills and Waddle on R5L of late. Last night Mills (and may Waddle?) was on with Jenas, who was trying to fathom out what they were saying. Jenas is impressive in my view.

Yes, Jenas was the voice of reason, stuck between the twin pillars of bile. Waddle is just full of shit. He slated Belgium on 5live last night, then I saw he'd tipped them on the BBC website.

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Apparently Ankergren has a massive voice in the dressingroom and is a key motivational figure - probably why he has been kept on yet again, much to some peoples dismay

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Apparently Ankergren has a massive voice in the dressingroom and is a key motivational figure - probably why he has been kept on yet again, much to some peoples dismay

I find that quite bizarre given he constantly has an expression that makes me think he is close to tears!

You can't judge a book by its cover I suppode

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
I find that quite bizarre given he constantly has an expression that makes me think he is close to tears!

You can't judge a book by its cover I suppode

Naturally it is just hearsay but it was told to me via by dad by Darren Balkham, of whom he is a personal friend

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
we have sidwell now so that's a step forwards...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here