Sep 21, 2011
Auch
favourite English band-Stranglers

favourite Irish band-Stiff Little Fingers

Favourite Scottish band-AC/DC :lol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's been loads of great Scottish bands over the years. They haven't exactly been slacking, in fact I reckon every part of the British Isles can boast great bands.

Off the top of my head: Alex Harvey,John Martyn (mainly), Aztec Camera , Belle and Sebastian, Orange Juice ,The Associates, Calvin Harris, Mogwai. Jesus and Mary Chain, the Waterboys. That's not too shabby and there's loads more.

Likewise Ireland - how about Thin Lizzy and U2?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I often say the same things, but I like saying this:

I meet many many music fans on my travels and when they realise I'm from the UK at some point, pretty much without fail, I will be told/or asked about how, the U.K. can consistently produce such great music and in such endless amounts. When you actually think about it...it is really really is incredible. Apologies for repeating myself but this is worth saying.

Oh, I wouldnt want to say which country has the greater bands. But good call Thin Lizzy.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Off the top of my head: Alex Harvey,John Martyn (mainly), Aztec Camera , Belle and Sebastian, Orange Juice ,The Associates, Calvin Harris, Mogwai. Jesus and Mary Chain, the Waterboys. That's not too shabby and there's loads more.

Indeed. Purely in (my) INDIE / INDIEPOP world alone, just Glasgow (not even ALL of Scotland) is MASSIVELY important: Camera Obscura, Primal Scream, Orange Juice, The Pastels, Lloyd Cole, Belle and Sebastian, Jesus and Mary Chain...

(and pretty important for pop music generally - Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, Fratellis, Texas, Travis, Wet wet wet, etc, etc)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I often say the same things, but I like saying this:

I meet many many music fans on my travels and when they realise I'm from the UK at some point, pretty much without fail, I will be told/or asked about how, the U.K. can consistently produce such great music and in such endless amounts. When you actually think about it...it is really really is incredible. Apologies for repeating myself but this is worth saying.

Oh, I wouldnt want to say which country has the greater bands. But good call Thin Lizzy.

This in spades. It's our greatest export. And this is done with little or no funding from the government.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Scotland is strong music wise.

Biffy Clyro (up to Puzzle, that is)
Idlewild
Mull Historical Society
Chvrches
Belle & Sebastian
Dananananaykroyd
Boards of Canada
Amy Macdonald
Teenage Fanclub
My Latest Novel
The Reindeer Section

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
There's been loads of great Scottish bands over the years. They haven't exactly been slacking, in fact I reckon every part of the British Isles can boast great bands.

Likewise Ireland - how about Thin Lizzy and U2?
Then they had to spoil it with this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Beta Band and ex-member, and now Hove resident, Steve Mason are two worthy Scottish entries. And a great band I love, especially in the summer, is Django Django.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Indeed. Purely in (my) INDIE / INDIEPOP world alone, just Glasgow (not even ALL of Scotland) is MASSIVELY important: Camera Obscura, Primal Scream, Orange Juice, The Pastels, Lloyd Cole, Belle and Sebastian, Jesus and Mary Chain...

(and pretty important for pop music generally - Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, Fratellis, Texas, Travis, Wet wet wet, etc, etc)

Glasgow: Teenage Fan Club
Falkirk: Arab Strap

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Top Scottish bands:

Cocteau Twins
TV21
The Skids

Irish:

VNVNation
Colenso Parade
Bernie Torme (who lives near me - lovely bloke)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here