Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex's Sarah Taylor and her break from cricket

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Interesting interview on the BBC site about why Sarah Taylor is taking a break from from cricket.

Good to hear that Robbo has been supportive: mind you, he must be used to this by now after Yards and Monty.

It's rather worrying to hear about the number of top cricketers with mental health issues - there's something not quite right in the sport.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In the modern game, awareness of mental health issues and levels of understanding shown to sufferers are much more advanced than in many other sports.

I think that's true. I'm doing my Level 2 certificate at the moment and there's an awful lot about well-being and taking care of players in the literature I'm having to read.

Cricket has such a high suicide rate there's even been a book about it, it's good that the powers to be are addressing it.

Hope to see Sarah back in action soon, she's an incredibly talented batter when she's on form

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Interesting interview on the BBC site about why Sarah Taylor is taking a break from from cricket.

Good to hear that Robbo has been supportive: mind you, he must be used to this by now after Yards and Monty.

It's rather worrying to hear about the number of top cricketers with mental health issues - there's something not quite right in the sport.

Perhaps Robbo will get some positive social media comment this time instead of the reported abuse over Charlotte Edwards.
..it's good to see Sarah Taylor felt able to talk about her 'injury' and is getting support by those involved in the game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As what MG said, but isn't just the case that 'we're' now more aware of mental health issues, triggers, symptoms etc.
Any governing body prepared to tackle the issue would find 'something not quite right in it's sport'.

IMental health comes up regularly in Royal Mail's 'work time learning' sessions.
These sessions usually look a lot like this:-

cuckoos-nest-1_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

and yet the irony seems to be missed.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I hope Sarah gets all the help and support she needs, she is a very talented cricketer.

Did anyone else catch the Grahame Fowler interview on Test Match Special - it was very good

He states quite clearly that Cricket does not suffer any more or any less than any other sport or workplace, but more 1 in 10 people will suffer from anxiety or and depression and Cricket just reflects this the same as the wider society. Cricket seems ahead of the curve with Trescothick and Yardy being public and talking about it openly.

Grahame Fowler well worth a listen if you missed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wg76n

Talks about depression from about 12 minutes in

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
All elite sport carries significant mental strain. However, cricket is almost unique in the batting context where a poor shot or piece of bad luck can mean you're out and there is no second chance. I can't think of any other sport where the same degree of total failure exists in this way.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As what MG said, but isn't just the case that 'we're' now more aware of mental health issues, triggers, symptoms etc.
Any governing body prepared to tackle the issue would find 'something not quite right in it's sport'.

IMental health comes up regularly in Royal Mail's 'work time learning' sessions.
These sessions usually look a lot like this:-

View attachment 75540

and yet the irony seems to be missed.

Do they include Netball?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here