Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How much is a football transfer taxed?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Apologies if covered before but how much are domestic transfers taxed?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One for our resident expert? [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]

Are there any specific taxes, or is it just CT?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we dont tax money transfers, taxes are on profit or capital gains.

as a player registration (which is really what you are transferring, as players arent "owned" obvs) isnt a tangible asset (?) i dont believe it would have any CGT, so unless the football clubs turn a profit, no taxes will be incurred.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
we dont tax money transfers, taxes are on profit or capital gains.

as a player registration (which is really what you are transferring, as players arent "owned" obvs) isnt a tangible asset (?) i dont believe it would have any CGT, so unless the football clubs turn a profit, no taxes will be incurred.

So you can get taxed on your house but a 30m transfer for example is taxed nothing?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So you can get taxed on your house but a 30m transfer for example is taxed nothing?

It's the profit you make on the deal isn't it? Cost 20 mill sold 30 mill....profit 10 mill........but club registered in cayman islands or somewhere like that and doesn't pay anything

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

you dont get taxed on your house sale, exempt from CGT. a second property will be liable to CGT if there is a capital gain. im not 100% positive about transfers just it seems likely its not counted for CGT. it would come up against Corporation tax if the club made a profit overall.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

If your business is buying and selling houses you get taxed on your profit, buying and selling players is part of the business of a football club.

Selling your house is taxable but the gain is subject to private residence relief, if you live there.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm no expert .....

All limited companies must pay corporation tax on profits.
So if you buy a player for £1m and sell for £2m there is a £1m gain

However, if treated as an asset these are accounted for quite differently.
Normally an asset is depreciated over a period of time - example: IT kit is assumed to have e.g. a 4 year "life" so a quarter of it's value is taken in the accounts as a "cost" aka depreciation charge.
With football players, their "asset life" and value are way more volatile so I have no idea how they are accounted for.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm no expert .....

All limited companies must pay corporation tax on profits.
So if you buy a player for £1m and sell for £2m there is a £1m gain

However, if treated as an asset these are accounted for quite differently.
Normally an asset is depreciated over a period of time - example: IT kit is assumed to have e.g. a 4 year "life" so a quarter of it's value is taken in the accounts as a "cost" aka depreciation charge.
With football players, their "asset life" and value are way more volatile so I have no idea how they are accounted for.

I think it's the value of the transfer plus the player's contract amortised over the length of the contract but not entirely sure.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Isn't stamp duty a tax? Something similar on transfer of ownership of players would be good. Why do we stamp a bricks and mortar transaction?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
VAT when we buy or sell something ?

VAT is on goods and services. a player registration is neither. you don't pay VAT on financial transactions either.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
VAT is on goods and services. a player registration is neither. you don't pay VAT on financial transactions either.

So a club isn't buying a player's services? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So a club isn't buying a player's services? I'm just playing devils advocate here.

in a transfer they are paying for the players registration to play (as i understand it). the player is then paid his weekly salary for his services.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Doc Lynam is right.

You pay stamp duty on your house. That's tax, and it's a load of BS. Just because you need to move from one area to another, you have to pay tax. And if you happen to live in the south, moving from one place to another of equal value will cost you a lot in tax.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I though VAT was paid on transfers ???. Anyrate the selling price is much less than the paying price because of agent's fees etc. At least 20% differrence on the occasions when this figure is known.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here