Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I hate the Daily Mail Doc Lynam's Avatar

How much is a football transfer taxed?

0 Not allowed!
    Apologies if covered before but how much are domestic transfers taxed?

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      One for our resident expert? @El Presidente

Are there any specific taxes, or is it just CT?
      2A. K2-18b
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      we dont tax money transfers, taxes are on profit or capital gains.

as a player registration (which is really what you are transferring, as players arent "owned" obvs) isnt a tangible asset (?) i dont believe it would have any CGT, so unless the football clubs turn a profit, no taxes will be incurred.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.
      I hate the Daily Mail Doc Lynam's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      we dont tax money transfers, taxes are on profit or capital gains.

as a player registration (which is really what you are transferring, as players arent "owned" obvs) isnt a tangible asset (?) i dont believe it would have any CGT, so unless the football clubs turn a profit, no taxes will be incurred.
      So you can get taxed on your house but a 30m transfer for example is taxed nothing?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Doc Lynam View Post
      So you can get taxed on your house but a 30m transfer for example is taxed nothing?
      It's the profit you make on the deal isn't it? Cost 20 mill sold 30 mill....profit 10 mill........but club registered in cayman islands or somewhere like that and doesn't pay anything
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
      A. Virgo, Football Genius

0 Not allowed!
      you dont get taxed on your house sale, exempt from CGT. a second property will be liable to CGT if there is a capital gain. im not 100% positive about transfers just it seems likely its not counted for CGT. it would come up against Corporation tax if the club made a profit overall.
      Daily Mail readers are living in a perpetual hell, expecting their homes to be overrun at any minute by hoodie wearing, skunk smoking, muslim, transgender, asylum seekers.

0 Not allowed!
      If your business is buying and selling houses you get taxed on your profit, buying and selling players is part of the business of a football club.

Selling your house is taxable but the gain is subject to private residence relief, if you live there.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I'm no expert .....

All limited companies must pay corporation tax on profits.
      So if you buy a player for £1m and sell for £2m there is a £1m gain

However, if treated as an asset these are accounted for quite differently.
      Normally an asset is depreciated over a period of time - example: IT kit is assumed to have e.g. a 4 year "life" so a quarter of it's value is taken in the accounts as a "cost" aka depreciation charge.
      With football players, their "asset life" and value are way more volatile so I have no idea how they are accounted for.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Shropshire Seagull View Post
      I'm no expert .....

All limited companies must pay corporation tax on profits.
      So if you buy a player for £1m and sell for £2m there is a £1m gain

However, if treated as an asset these are accounted for quite differently.
      Normally an asset is depreciated over a period of time - example: IT kit is assumed to have e.g. a 4 year "life" so a quarter of it's value is taken in the accounts as a "cost" aka depreciation charge.
      With football players, their "asset life" and value are way more volatile so I have no idea how they are accounted for.
      I think it's the value of the transfer plus the player's contract amortised over the length of the contract but not entirely sure.

0 Not allowed!
      Isn't stamp duty a tax? Something similar on transfer of ownership of players would be good. Why do we stamp a bricks and mortar transaction?