Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Name that tune please

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
[yt]WtllMWLWn7s[/yt]

This is part 3 of the last goldstone game v donny , watch it all if you like but i'm very interested to know if at 8.14 are you now a NSC poster or perhaps a editor of a local newspaper and shortly after there was a song played on the tannoy that still haunts me but i have never found out who it was or what it was called , whatever it was it would have been perfect in the film The Shining .

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yellowfin.

Jul 7, 2003
[yt]WtllMWLWn7s[/yt]

This is part 3 of the last goldstone game v donny , watch it all if you like but i'm very interested to know if at 8.14 are you now a NSC poster or perhaps a editor of a local newspaper and shortly after there was a song played on the tannoy that still haunts me but i have never found out who it was or what it was called , whatever it was it would have been perfect in the film The Shining .

That was always something I remembered vividly about wandering around the stadium after the match. It was only after hearing the song on the radio a few years later I recognised what the song was.

It would be interesting to know who put it on over the tannoy and whether it was chosen deliberately or was just a record that was hanging around the PA area?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Cheers gents :thumbsup:

If you're going to take that song back to its roots, the tune was written for an old Russian folk song called 'Stenka Razin (Volga Volga mat rodnaya)', or 'Iz-za ostrova na strezhen', and dates back to the 1890s.

[yt]44wzqWQxHpQ[/yt]

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
That was always something I remembered vividly about wandering around the stadium after the match. It was only after hearing the song on the radio a few years later I recognised what the song was.

It would be interesting to know who put it on over the tannoy and whether it was chosen deliberately or was just a record that was hanging around the PA area?

Must have been a pre match play list surely ? , now i have listened to the song i can understand why it was played but at the time it just sounded so eerie played through that tannoy .

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
If you're going to take that song back to its roots, the tune was written for an old Russian folk song called 'Stenka Razin (Volga Volga mat rodnaya)', or 'Iz-za ostrova na strezhen', and dates back to the 1890s.

[yt]44wzqWQxHpQ[/yt]

Thats some find , the 90s were a bit dull music wise , this must have been very pump up the volume of its day .

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's not the only hit of the 1960s from Russia.

"Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkins (i.e. 'we'll see you all outside, we'll see you all outside...) was a Russian folk song from 1925 called "Dorogoi dlinnoyu" ("By The Long Road").

[yt]mMaz70bOd7w[/yt]

So there.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As 'Those Were The Days' has been mentioned there is an obvious excuse, as if there needs to be one, to bring another NSC music exchange around to the glorious Wedding Present. Here are Weddoes spin off 'The Ukrainians' doing their version from a 1988 Peel Session calling it 'Davni Chasy'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GQi8rkE61I

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here