Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Legal eagles advice please

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HSBC have sent us a letter telling us that they are closing theIr document storage allowance and have asked us to remove the paperwork they are holding for us.

The documents include our house deeds and plans etc.

What is the legal stance of storing these extremely important documents? If you store them at home, like most people do with all sorts of contracts etc, how do you stand if your house burns down and you need proof of ownership etc?

Anyone recommend somewhere to save legal documents? Is it best to contact a solicitor and use their storage services?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
HSBC have sent us a letter telling us that they are closing theIr document storage allowance and have asked us to remove the paperwork they are holding for us.

What is the legal stance of storing these extremely important documents? If you store them at home, like most people do with all sorts of contracts etc, how do you stand if your house burns down and you need proof of ownership etc?

Anyone recommend somewhere to save legal documents? Is it best to contact a solicitor and use their storage services?

Why pay, for someone to look after them?

Take copies of it all, and keep the originals at home, and the copies at work?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why pay, for someone to look after them?

Take copies of it all, and keep the originals at home, and the copies at work?

I don't really have anywhere at work...I work mostly from home these days. I'll certainly have a look at copying them although some of the drawings in the packs are huge!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep, this. Or at a family member's house.

We keep a copy of house deeds and wills at my parents' house (and we do the same for them).

That is a really good idea...ill speak to the outlaws

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Lloyds closed their storage about 10 years ago and sent me my deeds etc in the post which were left on the door step in a damaged envelope.

Kept them in our filing cabinet at home ever since then.

Proof of ownership is kept by the land registry and you can download this from their website (for £2 I think)

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Lloyds closed their storage about 10 years ago and sent me my deeds etc in the post which were left on the door step in a damaged envelope.

Kept them in our filing cabinet at home ever since then.

Proof of ownership is kept by the land registry and you can download this from their website (for £2 I think)

I was thinking of this - I am not sure that it is such a problem with the internet these days. It is probably why they are closing the document storage as people can just download another copy

I know that my solicitor also has a copy of all of my documents stored incase of such issues

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

get a p.o box

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You can buy a Sentry box, which is fire resistant. We keep certificates, passports etc in ours. Tesco used to sell them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here