rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Never forget.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
My grandfather was one of the planners.

He had the unenviable task of surveying all of the potential landing beaches (there were a vast number under consideration) to work out what the average hourly casualty rate would be at each (based on geography, potential defences, tide patterns etc).

He's 99 now, but remembers all of it like it was yesterday.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
My grandfather was one of the planners.

He had the unenviable task of surveying all of the potential landing beaches (there were a vast number under consideration) to work out what the average hourly casualty rate would be at each (based on geography, potential defences, tide patterns etc).

He's 99 now, but remembers all of it like it was yesterday.

What an impressive guy. The role he played will have doubtless been underestimated over the years but I feel (and sure he would have the data to back up) that it could have been much much worse

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Daddy no3 was with the signals on second wave at DDay
Daddy no2 was evacuated (go mum)
Daddy no1 was captured at Tobruk 1942 and pow for rest of war

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What an impressive guy. The role he played will have doubtless been underestimated over the years but I feel (and sure he would have the data to back up) that it could have been much much worse

The sheer amount of planning and foresight that went into it seems to have been extraordinary. He viewed a lot of the potential landing beaches himself via a submarine, but a lot of the research was done via maps, postcards and photos that were collected (much had been sent in by members of the public from holidays etc).

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
The sheer amount of planning and foresight that went into it seems to have been extraordinary. He viewed a lot of the potential landing beaches himself via a submarine, but a lot of the research was done via maps, postcards and photos that were collected (much had been sent in by members of the public from holidays etc).

Has he documented his story anywhere? It would be a fascinating read.

I work with data for continuous improvement projects so rather enjoy it however the most I have impacted people with it was identifying optimum working practices for Sewage tankers to travel to ensure that customers were got to on time!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Has he documented his story anywhere? It would be a fascinating read.

I work with data for continuous improvement projects so rather enjoy it however the most I have impacted people with it was identifying optimum working practices for Sewage tankers to travel to ensure that customers were got to on time!

I don't know if he's documented it anywhere, I'll have to ask him actually.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My Uncle was there. Landed on Sword Beach with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. Never spoke about it - neither did his brother who was in Burma for most of the war. Must have been bloody awful.

Heroes, one and all.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
[QMaNorman Baker suck my lozenge;7456230]Brave ,brave lads.[/QUOTE]

Exceedingly. Unbelievable courage .One and all , on land , sea and air , plus the SOE spy's and the intelligence staff male and female .To all involved we owe a tremendous debt . We should be extremely proud of them and their sacrifices. Humbling to say the very least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Dad was on HMS Qualicombe mine sweeping before the day, and then offshore, on the day, firing shells at German placements on the cliffs, to stop them attacking the beach head.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Mum was a Sergeant Major in the Royal Signals sending out false messages to confuse the Germans before the invasion I think she was based in the North Downs. I took her to the Royal Signals museum before she died. She was a big Brighton fan.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
not a day I can ever forget, we had it drummed ino us at school + its also the day my Mum died in 1982

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
wasn't it origanally planned for the 5th but the weather was bad

the crossing the following day must have been awful

then get into a landing craft,run up the beach,under a hail of bullets

heroes all of them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here