Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ramadan

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
How many people on the board are observing the holy month of Ramadan??

We've got a couple of people at work who are observing it. As a show of solidarity a few of us have agreed to do the first day with them but my stomach is already rumbling and Big Dave next to me is indulging in a BEST sandwich :nono:

I think I can do the non eating part, it's the not drinking anything which is going to destroy me.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Eating and drinking during daylight hours is forbidden, so they fill up whilst it's still dark, and then fill up again when night falls. Summertime is tough, whereas it's easier during the winter when the days are shorter.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I feel sorry for the kids doing exams at the moment, it must be tough enough for any child let alone those going without food and water!

I feel sorry for the kids doing exams at the moment, it must be tough enough for any child let alone those going without food and water!

One of my Muslim colleagues has told us his children have been given some sort of dispensation to "opt out" during exams.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When living in Saudi, we were woken at 2 to go for breakfast, and pick up a packed lunch to eat in your room..
Trouble was, gettiing back to sleep as the villa next door was in in full party mode all night.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Going all day without fluids.......not only a peaceful religion, but healthy too....idiots.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Lots of my students are doing it which is tough during the exam period. I would like to tell them that is there is a god then he really would not mind during your Alevels to eat and rink but it is not worth the hassle.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Going all day without fluids.......not only a peaceful religion, but healthy too....idiots.

There's not much in the scientific literature to suggest Ramadan is unhealthy. Indeed, there may actually be some health benefits.

But then, as you say, don't let truth get in the way!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Not entirely sure I could manage it myself and I've no intention of finding out, pretty sure I'd cave by lunchtime!

Nice to see the usual classy responses from some as always, wouldn't be a thread without them.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
GF came back from somewhere this morning with 2 doughnuts for our health style breakfast. Reminded her it was Ramadan. Crestfallen face, but I get to have two doughnuts!! :thumbsup:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
There's not much in the scientific literature to suggest Ramadan is unhealthy. Indeed, there may actually be some health benefits.

I have absolutely no thoughts on this subject, but, I do object when people state things as facts, or truths when quite clearly they may not be. From the quote can you please explain what the truth is that you think was getting in the way.

Appreciate your help with that.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My next door neighbour works nights,so it's easy for him.But he says what he does behind closed doors is between him and god anyway-if he is thirsty,he has a drink.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hotels of London will be rammed with rich Arabs on the piss same as last year.

I remember when I worked in SA it was really difficult to get a flight home during Ramadan as all flights to UK were full.

These were the wealthy hypocrites.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

so presumably there is scientific evidence to support your assertion there are health benefits? personally i doubt it, starving and no water especially then binging at dusk cant be terribly good.

those taking exams should be allowed to take an exemption, but it depends on how observant and how their local imam guides them. i knew a chap who booked dozens of site visits at ramadan, as his imam had an light interpretation of the travel rule.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here