Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Enthusiastic About The Euros?

el punal

Well the competition is almost upon us and I'm finding it difficult to get excited about any of it. Don't get me wrong, I would love England to be successful but they have got previous, in recent years, of failing miserably when they need to produce. In my view, the last competition that England showed something approaching a degree of flair and excitement was in 2002 - with Beckham's fantastic free kick to get us to the finals and his penalty against Argentina (of all teams!) in the finals themselves.

Since then we have flattered to deceive. England expects and all that and then fails to deliver. Will it be the same this time? I hope not, but my jaded view has come about not only because of England's shortcomings but I'm emotionally drained after Albion's heroic season. I need a rest . . . well, until next season's fixtures come out!

So I will watch the Euro proceedings and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised if England triumph - after all it is forty years ago since THAT golden moment. You never know.

el punal

Well the competition is almost upon us and I'm finding it difficult to get excited about any of it. Don't get me wrong, I would love England to be successful but they have got previous, in recent years, of failing miserably when they need to produce. In my view, the last competition that England showed something approaching a degree of flair and excitement was in 2002 - with Beckham's fantastic free kick to get us to the finals and his penalty against Argentina (of all teams!) in the finals themselves.

Since then we have flattered to deceive. England expects and all that and then fails to deliver. Will it be the same this time? I hope not, but my jaded view has come about not only because of England's shortcomings but I'm emotionally drained after Albion's heroic season. I need a rest . . . well, until next season's fixtures come out!

So I will watch the Euro proceedings and, hopefully, will be pleasantly surprised if England triumph - after all it is forty years ago since THAT golden moment. You never know.

Aargh! Fifty years!!!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I shall watch the majority of the matches as I enjoy watching football. I will support England as I always have done because they're my team.
Disappointment is linked to expectations so I don't get my hopes up. If we do well, then it's a bonus.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I shall watch the majority of the matches as I enjoy watching football. I will support England as I always have done because they're my team.
Disappointment is linked to expectations so I don't get my hopes up. If we do well, then it's a bonus.

Yes me too.There was a time when I'd get super excited about England being in a major tournament whereas now I expect us to be shite and don't worry about it at all. I'll still support England obviously but it's more just about enjoying the tournament and hopefully loads of great football. Which I am excited about.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How can you not get excited about 3 football matches a day?!?!

The euros is bloody brilliant.
I am going with tickets to all England games and even I'm not massively fussed as to how we do after the group stages as international tournament football is brilliant!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Will it was an exciting as previous years given the expansion of teams in the finals so that there are very few meaningful group games as the top ranked teams stroll into the knockout stage

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Football on telly (initially non stop) for a month. Supermarkets having a price war on beer. Middle of the summer.

International tournaments are the bollocks.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am hoping to see an England team that I can relate to, Rooney apart maybe just maybe I will be able to for the first time in years. Not expecting us to win or even get close though. At the moment I am quite looking forward to it.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Same here, always enjoy international tournaments!

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
For the the first in yonks, I've re-kindled that old spark of excitement over England .... cos we have a very young and flairistic team who will play without too much fear. Come on the Lions

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13

Yeah 100% agree with this, I'm not expecting England to win or anything but 3 matches a day on the telly, what's not to enjoy.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Will it was an exciting as previous years given the expansion of teams in the finals so that there are very few meaningful group games as the top ranked teams stroll into the knockout stage

This is true. Really annoying that they changed the format as I always felt the Euros were a tougher competition than the World Cup because of the 16 team setup.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
In the old days of black and white tv, with David Coleman commentating, there used to be a certain mystique about watching players you'd never heard of from other countries. With the advent of Sky/BT, you can see these players on any given weekend, so the element of surprise has gone.......I'm out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The two big Summer football tournaments are about so much more than just England, although of course I'd like to see us do well.

Bring. It. On.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I shall watch the majority of the matches as I enjoy watching football..

it's more just about enjoying the tournament and hopefully loads of great football. Which I am excited about.

How can you not get excited about 3 football matches a day?!?!

Football on telly (initially non stop) for a month. Supermarkets having a price war on beer. Middle of the summer.

International tournaments are the bollocks.

Yeah 100% agree with this, I'm not expecting England to win or anything but 3 matches a day on the telly, what's not to enjoy.

The two big Summer football tournaments are about so much more than just England, although of course I'd like to see us do well.

Bring. It. On.

A big fat T H I S.

Wall chart is UP.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Bring. It. On.

We shall be in France for two weeks during the tournament. It's great fun, sitting in the club, on the campsite, with Dutch, Germans and the French.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

More or less my take on it. Half Spanish too so watch them.

I just don't get as worked up about the tournaments as I used to and I guess that's just getting older. Love watching them though.

The only thing that still gets me childlike in anticipation if the Albion, and because of that am looking forward to watching SKALAK.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Anything that provides a distraction to help get through the interminable break before next season is very welcome. And you never know, England might just surprise us all!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here