Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mortgage experts

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What a way to bore even seconds of a warm Sunday. My apologies. I am mildly bathed in uncertainty though.

So, my situation is that after living where i live for about 8 years, the landlord declares he's looking to sell the flat, and would we move out by September 1st. Plenty of notice, but the girlfriend has gone away for 10 days on the same day as i receive the cancellation of contract email. I thought i best not ruin her break, so will tell her on Tuesday. Now, i am in permanent employment, not earning an awful lot, but the girlfriend is coming to the end of a 6-month contract, with a publisher, that she wishes not to be renewed. I suppose the advice i am looking for is whether anyone thinks a joint mortgage will be given, with decent enough rates, with the girlfriend's employment issue as it is. I want to buy somewhere - to rent is about £400pm more than we pay now, the internet tells me - , and have about 25% of a deposit to hand, but i doubt it will be a nice enough place with with the amount that Santander's online mortgage calculator suggests.
Any thoughts?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would hazard a guess that your position would be a lot better if she takes the renewal so can show income, once you have the mortgage they dont come checking, she can look for something new in another six months... or more... dont assume you'll find and complete in that time, so you might want to plan for a short rent or live with family/friends or other accomodation for a couple of months. also, budget for removals or hire van and storage.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
i would hazard a guess that your position would be a lot better if she takes the renewal so can show income, once you have the mortgage they dont come checking, she can look for something new in another six months... or more... dont assume you'll find and complete in that time, so you might want to plan for a short rent or live with family/friends or other accomodation for a couple of months. also, budget for removals or hire van and storage.

Thanks for the advice.
I've been thinking the first thing i ask her to do is look to see if they want to keep her on - she's covering maternity leave, so that might not be so. The only problem with that is that she has a thorough dislike for her boss and wants to be out of there as quickly as possible. How i persuade her to look to stay i haven't thought of the words for yet. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I suppose the advice i am looking for is whether anyone thinks a joint mortgage will be given, with decent enough rates, with the girlfriend's employment issue as it is. I want to buy somewhere - to rent is about £400pm more than we pay now, the internet tells me - , and have about 25% of a deposit to hand, but i doubt it will be a nice enough place with with the amount that Santander's online mortgage calculator suggests.
Any thoughts?
Yes you can get a joint mortgage, but you might not be able to borrow as much as you want to. It will be worked out on affordability. They'll use your income and outgoings to work out how much you can borrow. You can get an idea by filling in an online example (I use fake details when doing that), but obviously speaking to a bank or advisor (like US) will get you the exact amount you can borrow.

Re your girlfriend - if she's self employed, has she got SA302s for the last few years? If so, that would do for many lenders. If not, what's her next plan for work?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Yes you can get a joint mortgage, but you might not be able to borrow as much as you want to. It will be worked out on affordability. They'll use your income and outgoings to work out how much you can borrow. You can get an idea by filling in an online example (I use fake details when doing that), but obviously speaking to a bank or advisor (like US) will get you the exact amount you can borrow.

Re your girlfriend - if she's self employed, has she got SA302s for the last few years? If so, that would do for many lenders. If not, what's her next plan for work?

Thanks for that.

No, not self-employed, the girlfriend. She's mostly of the media world, being a picture researcher in Spain and at the BBC, but she's gone into project management in publishing. She'll get something else without worry, with her numerous qualifications and 5 languages to speak. She has a bit more about her, jobwise, than i. :)
I do forget that the job before the one i've been in for the last 11 or 12 years was getting rid of nudey photos for MSN. I suppose if i applied for anything elsewhere i wouldn't mention my main skill set of that time being able to recognise the firmness or flaccidity of a male member in a still.
:)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks for that.
Pleasure.

No, not self-employed, the girlfriend. She's mostly of the media world, being a picture researcher in Spain and at the BBC, but she's gone into project management in publishing. She'll get something else without worry, with her numerous qualifications and 5 languages to speak. She has a bit more about her, jobwise, than i. :)
Unless you earn enough for both of you, I'd guess you'll need her to have another job before you apply.

Is she's always in short term contracts and are they always PAYE (as opposed to being self-employed)? That might be ok with some lenders and not with others, I guess you need an expert to tell you.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks for the kind words Gents. Triggaaar is right in what he says. If your partner is on a contract that is about to end and not be renewed no mortgage lender will take her income into the equation so they will lend on your salary only Meade and as a guide up to 4.5 x this. The best thing is for your partner to get an employed job or contract extended but some will want her to work through any probation period first before releasing the funds. I will send you a PM as this is generic advice only

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I went through the process for our first house about 2 years ago.

We were offered 5x my salary and 3x my wife's salary.

We had a deposit of £55,000 and wanted to borrow a further £165,000 but the bank wouldn't go above £155,000 despite our large deposit being 25% of the value of the property. We were helped out by relative in the end and can now easily afford the mortgage repayments.

Point being, deposit is useful but a decent salary will increase the amount that a bank will lend. Your girlfriends salary could prove invaluable to getting the loan

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Is "5 x one salary + 3 x the other" fairly normal these days...?

And how strict are they on making deductions for gym memberships and season tickets etc at the moment...?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

And how strict are they on making deductions for gym memberships and season tickets etc at the moment...?

There seem to be a few loose rule of thumbs but seems to be all calculated on affordability.

Usual outgoings seem fine and nothing of mine was questioned when we did it last summer. The only real finance was car leases so fairly simple.

All comes down to affordability, what goes in, what goes out and is what is left what they deem enough to live on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

5 plus 3 is definitely not normal, it is 5 x joint, absolute tops, nowadays it is getting more difficult to get that, 4.5 x joint is the guide, lenders are only allowed to lend over 4.5 x joint in 1 in 7 mortgages

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
5 plus 3 is definitely not normal, it is 5 x joint, absolute tops, nowadays it is getting more difficult to get that, 4.5 x joint is the guide, lenders are only allowed to lend over 4.5 x joint in 1 in 7 mortgages
Thanks US.

4.5 x joint sounds a reasonable guide. With 65% deposit, and two public sector employments, hopefully we'll get that.

How are things with "interest only" lending at the moment? Is it a complete no-no or not too bad if that is the route you prefer (even partially)...?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here