Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muhammad Ali Primer For Anyone Unaware How Globally MASSIVE Those Fights Were At The Time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can I please recommend the following, all of which concern the circus surrounding the epic 'Rumble In The Jungle' encounter between an ageing Ali and the monster that was George Foreman:

- 'When We Were Kings' - Academy award winning documentary

- 'The Fight' - glorious non-fiction book by literary heavyweight Norman Mailer

- typically upfkcued up non-appearance at the gig by Hunter S Thompson & Ralph Steadman - Google it, BRILLIANT read

MASSIVE global circus and Pay Per View courtesy of SERIOUS criminal promoter Don King

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I have watched this fight a number of times, and the media make out its a case of Ali starting out fast in the 1st round, with head punches, but Forman takes it.

From then on Forman forces Ali to the ropes, where Ali is forced to use the 'rope a dope tactics'

In fact, Ali was landing counter shots off the ropes, and despite the big blows of Foreman, a lot were blocked, and Ali was ahead on points when he put the exhausted Foreman away in the 8th round.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
IMO there’s been nothing since to rival that era of heavy weight boxing. So many powerful and classy boxers around at the same time: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton etc

The etc. being Bugner, Cooper, London, Dunn, er....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyway, as THPP says. 'at the time'.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have watched this fight a number of times, and the media make out its a case of Ali starting out fast in the 1st round, with head punches, but Forman takes it.

From then on Forman forces Ali to the ropes, where Ali is forced to use the 'rope a dope tactics'

In fact, Ali was landing counter shots off the ropes, and despite the big blows of Foreman, a lot were blocked, and Ali was ahead on points when he put the exhausted Foreman away in the 8th round.

Same view from me in watching it a few months ago.

Ali, amongst so many other things, was brilliant in defence, his reaction speed, not wasting punches and countering.

I had wrongly thought that he took a beating, with Foreman punching himself out.

Ali’s fight was masterful, against the world title holder Foreman, 7 years his junior, who’d just annihilated Frazier and Norton.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Although Ali was the master, Foreman’s punch that literally lifted Smokin’ Joe off his feet was awesome in the original meaning of the word.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
IMO there’s been nothing since to rival that era of heavy weight boxing. So many powerful and classy boxers around at the same time: Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Norton etc

Heavyweights no, although Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe and an older George Foreman were the closest seen since then.

I’d definitely put Hagler, Leonard, Hearn’s & Duran as at least their equal though. Between the four of them they reigned between Lightweight & Cruiserweight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Heavyweights no, although Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Bowe and an older George Foreman were the closest seen since then.

I’d definitely put Hagler, Leonard, Hearn’s & Duran as at least their equal though. Between the four of them they reigned between Lightweight & Cruiserweight.

Loved the Leonard era, also containing Wilfredo Benitez. Used to set my alarm to listen to live Radio 2 coverage from the US in the middle of the night, then watch the full fight on ITV the next evening. All true greats in boxing history.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And I forgot that around that time were Larry Holmes and Spinks. Since then Tyson, Holyfield, Bruno and Lennox Lewis have brought a lot of excitement to the sport - far more so than the current crop of Fury and others IMO.

Yeah, probably.

I loved watching the boxing on Sportsnight with Coleman. Then I lived abroad in the early 80s, and saw no boxing. When I came back to blighty I eagerly sat down to watch my first bout and thought '**** me; this is brutal and, frankly, horrible - no thanks!'.

Then I pulled myself together and the following week was back to normal, enjoying the boxing :lolol:

It is a funny old game, though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I remember having quite a sizeable drunken bet (well it was to me at the time) with a Spanish friend on this fight. Foreman was the massive favourite from memory and the result was a shock. Am I right?

My winnings kept me in food for a week :lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Can I please recommend the following, all of which concern the circus surrounding the epic 'Rumble In The Jungle' encounter between an ageing Ali and the monster that was George Foreman:

- 'When We Were Kings' - Academy award winning documentary

- 'The Fight' - glorious non-fiction book by literary heavyweight Norman Mailer

- typically upfkcued up non-appearance at the gig by Hunter S Thompson & Ralph Steadman - Google it, BRILLIANT read

MASSIVE global circus and Pay Per View courtesy of SERIOUS criminal promoter Don King

Fascinating stuff, and really reiterates what of piece of s*** King still is 46 years on.

I do wonder if things would have been different if Ali had quit after Zaire at 32, and become a political figure, his health might have not have suffered to the extent it did, and people, regardless of race, colour or creed would have listened to him?

But unfortunately he was a cash cow, for the ‘Thrilla in Manila’ 12 moths later his entourage numbered 71 in the Philippines, all paid for by The Greatest 😞

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Fascinating stuff, and really reiterates what of piece of s*** King still is 46 years on.

I do wonder if things would have been different if Ali had quit after Zaire at 32, and become a political figure, his health might have not have suffered to the extent it did, and people, regardless of race, colour or creed would have listened to him?

But unfortunately he was a cash cow, for the ‘Thrilla in Manila’ 12 moths later his entourage numbered 71 in the Philippines, all paid for by The Greatest ��

The Thriller in Manila was the time for both Frazier & Ali to bow out. They both took an awful amount of punishment and were never the same again.

Back to the Rumble in the Jungle I’ve always said if I had the choice to watch any past sports event live, I’d pick that fight.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Thriller in Manila was the time for both Frazier & Ali to bow out. They both took an awful amount of punishment and were never the same again.

Back to the Rumble in the Jungle I’ve always said if I had the choice to watch any past sports event live, I’d pick that fight.

That or Sudbury vs Brighton in the FA Cup in 1996. 😂

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here