Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EU Referendum - deadline to register fast approaching

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I realise everyone's getting highly pi$$ed off by the quality of the EU Referendum debate. However, it is likely to be the most important vote in our lifetimes. Hence, if anyone has NOT yet registered to vote (this probably applies mainly to the younger generation), please do so now. It takes about 5 mins. The deadline is Tuesday. If you're not registered you won't be able to vote!

https://www.eureferendum.gov.uk/register-to-vote/

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Perhaps another plea - remind your sons/daughters/friends in the 18 - 25 age group, who could be at Uni, and are focussed on exams at the mo, rather than the Referendum. And get them to remind their friends, too - this age group is on average gloriously unaware of the referendum, despite it being so crucial for their future.

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
If as you say, this age group is on average gloriously unaware of the referendum,
then IMHO they should not be allowed to vote! Given that the verbal shite has been flowing from both sides of the argument for just about 6 months how could they be unaware?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree with this thread. It's a super important referendum which will affect the country for a life time at least. You need to vote in this.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Problems with the registration website, probably just clogged up after the TV debate.

My dad still has been unable to register online so far despite trying since 9:30pm to do so.

All he gets is 504 gateway time-out and forced to restart, this page cannot be found message and forced to restart again or pages loading but are completely blank.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, whichever side you are on vote. People fought and died for your right.

One human right we all agree on.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
My dad still has been unable to register online so far despite trying since 9:30pm to do so.

All he gets is 504 gateway time-out and forced to restart, this page cannot be found message and forced to restart again or pages loading but are completely blank.

Did the referendum come as a bit of a surprise ?

Don't forget if you are already registered to vote in general and local elections you are already registered for the referendum.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Don't forget if you are already registered to vote in general and local elections you are already registered for the referendum.

There was a hoax on facebook a while back claiming you had to register for this referendum even if you'd voted in elections in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour gained ground and some are still telling people they need to register specially for the referendum.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
There was a hoax on facebook a while back claiming you had to register for this referendum even if you'd voted in elections in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if this rumour gained ground and some are still telling people they need to register specially for the referendum.

Yep, a fair proportion of those registering lately are already registered.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Trying to do it from before 21:30 when the deadline was midnight and failing because the IT system was rubbish is not the fault of those trying to register, to try to blame them, however late they had left it is ridiculous. Their website should have had some sort of traffic management system in place to control how many were on at once (queuing system like the Albion's ticketing system has) Instead it crashed because there were so many trying at once and it just couldn't cope (obvious that there could be a large spike in demand as deadlines approach) and those already partway through the process were forced to keep starting over when it inevitably crashed, adding to the site traffic. (reported earlier today that over 50,000 people were trying at the same time yesterday)

He voted in the General election but never got a polling card for the recent local elections which included the recent PCC election. If he was definitely registered, then why no polling card for the previous elections? You can see why doubts creep in so it's unsurprising then that some sort to (re-)register online to be certain of being able to vote (or at least tried to register last night) rather than take the risk and leave it and hope for the best, only to discover you had been removed from the electoral register and therefore unable to vote in the referendum (especially seeing it is such an important vote)

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Trying to do it from before 21:30 when the deadline was midnight and failing because the IT system was rubbish is not the fault of those trying to register, to try to blame them, however late they had left it is ridiculous. Their website should have had some sort of traffic management system in place to control how many were on at once (queuing system like the Albion's ticketing system has) Instead it crashed because there were so many trying at once and it just couldn't cope (obvious that there could be a large spike in demand as deadlines approach) and those already partway through the process were forced to keep starting over when it inevitably crashed, adding to the site traffic. (reported earlier today that over 50,000 people were trying at the same time yesterday)

He voted in the General election but never got a polling card for the recent local elections which included the recent PCC election. If he was definitely registered, then why no polling card for the previous elections? You can see why doubts creep in so it's unsurprising then that some sort to (re-)register online to be certain of being able to vote (or at least tried to register last night) rather than take the risk and leave it and hope for the best, only to discover you had been removed from the electoral register and therefore unable to vote in the referendum (especially seeing it is such an important vote)

Mainly younger people trying to register. Is this generation the least prepared for 'after education' contribution to British life in history? Virtually unemployable? We led the world in computer coding in the 80's. Why has that lead been fritted away? Where are the Great British IT entrepreneurs graduating from our amazing universities? American Style! At the very least our 'apps' savvy generation must be aware that every system is vunuarable at peak times and avoid the high usage times. I DO! Else join the list of past great Britons and make something happen!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Am I alone in apathy about this?

It's all BS and whether we are in or out it we will be in pretty much the same position because it is not an exact science. All it is is interactive theatre and an opportunity for politicians to play politics for the sake of it.

Cameron using WWIII as his argument just insults our intelligence and he put me off even engaging in the topic.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005

One. Why would he have been removed from the register ? Two. Ring your local council Electoral Services and ask if you are still registered. Three. You do not need a polling card to vote.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Tinkering with registration deadlines is little different to tinkering with constituency boundaries in order to get the "right" result and they've been doing that since the popular vote was established. If the "leaves" had the authority they would have closed the registration process months ago. They're all politicians ffs! :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Tinkering with registration deadlines is little different to tinkering with constituency boundaries in order to get the "right" result and they've been doing that since the popular vote was established. If the "leaves" had the authority they would have closed the registration process months ago. They're all politicians ffs! :lolol:

Generally I agrere, but would they? I mean, I only glanced at the debate, as far as I saw the audience were the winners, in the sense that they seemed to press their questions more than you generally see politicians get pressed in interviews, and that was pretty much all I took from it.

So, without a clear winnner between the leaves and the remains, there's a chance the leaves think "we won that, we need to keep registration open to get some more of those we convinced registered".

Or has the media generally declared the remains the winner of it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here