Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Dave Swarbrick

Folk musician Dave Swarbrick has died at 75, his family have announced. Best known for his work with the hugely influential folk group Fairport Convention, Swarbrick was a virtuosic violin player and one of the most highly regarded musicians of the 1960s folk revival. He also wrote, arranged and sang, and performed on the viola, mandolin and mandola, and guitar

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/03/dave-swarbrick-dies-at-75-fiddler-fairport-convention

A great musician and a lovely man.

[yt]oeLDg-KWWQk[/yt]

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
An absolutely superb musician, haven't listened to Fairport in a while but this is sad news. Just one more to Meet on the Ledge.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
My Dad will be gutted, he has every single one of their records (or so it seems anyway!).

RIP

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Sad news. A genuine folk legend who was involved in so much great music over the years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sad news, do they still have their own Fairport Convention Festival one weekend every year in Cropredy?

I loved the music they made when Sandy Denny was in the band.

Oh dear. The Fairports were a big part of my youth. If I recall rightly Dave S. was reported dead a few years back (obviously wrongly!) and made a bit of a joke about it. My goodness the guy could play.

And my youth too, I still fondly listen to Liege & Lief and Unhalfbricking in the car.
As Ed has posted, he did seem a really lovely fella. I met him at the Brighton Folk Club in the Hare & Hounds at Preston Circus in 1971 where Maddy Prior and Richard Knight were playing; just a few minutes of chat at the bar. 18 months later I was at university, the Fairports were playing and I had to pay the band; it was like meeting an old mate, he even remembered my name. He then introduced me to Sandy Denny who'd "left" the band by then; but did any of them ever really leave?

And my youth too, I still fondly listen to Liege & Lief and Unhalfbricking in the car.
As Ed has posted, he did seem a really lovely fella. I met him at the Brighton Folk Club in the Hare & Hounds at Preston Circus in 1971 where Maddy Prior and Richard Knight were playing; just a few minutes of chat at the bar. 18 months later I was at university, the Fairports were playing and I had to pay the band; it was like meeting an old mate, he even remembered my name. He then introduced me to Sandy Denny who'd "left" the band by then; but did any of them ever really leave?

The Hare and Hounds? Shirley not. The Stanford Arms, I think.

My best time with Dave Swarbrick and the rest of the Fairports was at something called the Sheffield Festival in 1992, when an old friend of mine managed to swing a deal that had me compering a Fairport Convention concert on the Saturday evening, requiring me to sit in the bar with the band for the whole of the afternoon, waiting for the sound equipment to be sorted by the guys who did that sort of thing for Sheffield City Council.

The Hare and Hounds? Shirley not. The Stanford Arms, I think.

My best time with Dave Swarbrick and the rest of the Fairports was at something called the Sheffield Festival in 1992, when an old friend of mine managed to swing a deal that had me compering a Fairport Convention concert on the Saturday evening, requiring me to sit in the bar with the band for the whole of the afternoon, waiting for the sound equipment to be sorted by the guys who did that sort of thing for Sheffield City Council.

Arghhh! You're right Ed; a bit too much 5FU & Irinotecan in me at the moment to be 100% sure of my 1970s pubs.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sad news, do they still have their own Fairport Convention Festival one weekend every year in Cropredy?

I loved the music they made when Sandy Denny was in the band.
Yes they do (Cropredy that is). Must go again one year, sometime before I'm too old!

Sandy Denny is my all-time favourite female singer still. Saw that line up of Fairport (before the road crash) - great gig. Think I probably saw Swarb at Cropredy, but can't actually remember (festivals, you know!)

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I always thought that the Fairports had two key musical influences - Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick. Must admit I preferred the RT influenced, pre-Swarbrick Fairports but Liege and Lief was a superb album, featuring both Thompson and Swarbrick influencing the music in equal measure and for me was probably the best album they made as the band turned more resolutely topwards British folk music. So farewell, thank you and RIP Dave Swarbrick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here