Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

One for NSC's punks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
6 Music are currently celebrating this:-

Live from Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall

As part of BBC Music Day, Mark Radcliffe & Stuart Maconie host a special show live from the site of Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall, celebrating the 40th anniversary of the now infamous Sex Pistols gig there.

Often described as one of the most influential gigs of all time, the Sex Pistols appearance at The Lesser Free Trade Hall on 4th June 1976 was attended by just a handful of people. But the few that were there went on to form some of UK's most celebrated bands including Joy Division, The Smiths, Buzzcocks and The Fall.

With special guests and live music, Mark & Stuart explore the musical and cultural ripple effects of this legendary gig.

Among those joining Mark & Stuart at the site of the Lesser Free Trade Hall venue are former Sex Pistol Glen Matlock, punk journalist and commentator Jon Savage and there'll be live music from Manchester band PINS. Mark & Stuart will also hear from Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley and Howard Devoto who arranged the Pistols' Lesser Free Trade Hall gig after seeing the band play in London.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Paul Morley incoming in 3,2,1.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are people still punks any more than they are hippies or rock and rollers?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I know a few of the guys that are in Johnny Moped, and they amusingly still call each other by their band names, Dave is Berk, Simon is Slimy Toad, Paul Is Johnny, Ray is Captain... Monty Oxymoron.... so on and so forth.

Don't dress like punks anymore (captain does...), but definitely keep some of the lifestyle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

They only come out at night, I think. Went to see the UK Subs a few years back - amazing number of middle-aged punks around looking very uncomfortable in all their best punk gear, now about two sizes too small for them!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They only come out at night, I think. Went to see the UK Subs a few years back - amazing number of middle-aged punks around looking very uncomfortable in all their best punk gear, now about two sizes too small for them!

To be fair though, Charlie Harper was already middle aged when the UK Subs decided to cash in on the tail end of punk. Bloke's probably due a telegram from Queen,assuming he's still alive and not constantly touring villages in Switzerland with his kids and grand kids.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair though, Charlie Harper was already middle aged when the UK Subs decided to cash in on the tail end of punk. Bloke's probably due a telegram from Queen,assuming he's still alive and not constantly touring villages in Switzerland with his kids and grand kids.

I think it must have been about five or six years ago when I saw them. I didn't really know much about them except for 'Tomorrow Girls' which one of the bands I was in used to play. I was pretty well impressed.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Same every year at SLF gigs.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Would you consider The Stranglers to be punk?

If so, it's worth considering Jet Black is only two and a bit years off being 80.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Official pretendance for that Manc gig was 28,376

cough. I was there. Cough.

(I wasn't. I was down the resources centre watching Johnny and the Shit Outs and The Chefs. I think. Long time ago.) :lolol:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Official pretendance for that Manc gig was 28,376

There were actually two gig there only 6 weeks apart, organised by Shelly & Devoto (Buzzcocks) slaughter and the dogs were at the support for the first one i think (it might have been the second one, its been a long time !) the first attended by 42 people, the second there were several hundred.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here