Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Film and Comic Con

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's their second event, the first one last November was a big hit. This one seems a little light on the guests (even before the cancellations), but still has the likes of Chris Barrie, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford, Sarah Douglas (Urse from Superman/Superman II), Camille Coduri (The love interest in King Ralph and Rose's mother in Doctor Who), Kristian Nairn (Hodor) as well as others who may or may not be recognisable (Paul Darrow, Lalla Ward, Devon Murray, Robert Rankin). But the company that run it claim they are hopeful of making the Brighton show one of their flagship events (there's currently more impressive line ups at their London and Manchester events).

More info (including the full line up) here http://www.filmandcomicconbrighton.com/

I went to the one in November (had to go early and then rush to get to the game because we were playing at home that day). I had a lot of fun just wandering around all the stalls (I don't really go for autographs or photos) and looking at all the costumes (one person had dressed up like Geena Davis from Beetlejuice:

160e1751348769d48139b0042d98b64f.jpg

Anyone else going tomorrow?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's their second event, the first one last November was a big hit. This one seems a little light on the guests (even before the cancellations), but still has the likes of Chris Barrie, Sylvester McCoy, Bonnie Langford, Sarah Douglas (Urse from Superman/Superman II), Camille Coduri (The love interest in King Ralph and Rose's mother in Doctor Who), Kristian Nairn (Hodor) as well as others who may or may not be recognisable (Paul Darrow, Lalla Ward, Devon Murray, Robert Rankin). But the company that run it claim they are hopeful of making the Brighton show one of their flagship events (there's currently more impressive line ups at their London and Manchester events).

More info (including the full line up) here http://www.filmandcomicconbrighton.com/

I went to the one in November (had to go early and then rush to get to the game because we were playing at home that day). I had a lot of fun just wandering around all the stalls (I don't really go for autographs or photos) and looking at all the costumes (one person had dressed up like Geena Davis from Beetlejuice:

Thanks for posting this , my son is massively into this sort of thing , ive just given him the details , he can go on his own to this one though , after i spent an ''entertaining'' few hours wandering around outside the excel last year after taking him and his friends for his birthday, you see some ''interestingly dressed characters '' :facepalm:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No.

From the thread title I thought it was going to be about a scam to be wary of involving con men trying to take my money for an investment in films or comics.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yep, taking mini Oscar. He's rather excited having still not got over meeting John Hurt, Carl Weathers and Vasquez from Aliens last time.

A slightly disappointing line up this time but a fun day out... if you're into this kind of thing.

And, yes, I too saw that Geena Davis costume. Scary.

I see they're doing a "cosplay" (as they call dressing up at these things) lipsync battle this time. I might have to watch/cringe through that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
3o6Mbc48PBzpaE4Kic.gif

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I met Robert Rankin at the last one and he is a lovely guy. Didn't want any money for signatures or photos like the TV stars, just wanted to sell copies of his books (I did buy one). Also local, lives near Preston Park I think, and wrote a book set in Brighton. Worth looking out for him if you are going.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I met Robert Rankin at the last one and he is a lovely guy. Didn't want any money for signatures or photos like the TV stars, just wanted to sell copies of his books (I did buy one). Also local, lives near Preston Park I think, and wrote a book set in Brighton. Worth looking out for him if you are going.

Hang on! Is THAT how these conventions work? People pay money to get in, then queue up to pay more money, for a selfie with some failed RADA-schooled thesp, who had to lower himself to play 'Third from left Cyberman' in Series six of Doctor Who!!!??

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton

I went last November and it was excellent...It formed a major part of my 40th birthday weekend celebrations. I even sacked-off the Albion's game with Franchise to spend all day there. I had never been to a ComicCon before and found it was thoroughly enjoyable.

I had no idea they were doing an event this weekend, are they going to do one this November?

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Out of interest, some elderly woman barged in front of me at the ticket office at Seaford train station two months ago, I thought, fair enough, she must be in a hurry and let her do her thing. When I got to the window the woman behind the counter told me that she was in the original 1977 Star Wars and was off to appear at a fan convention and had to get the train just about to depart. Some Comic Con fan must know who she is because no amount of Google-ing Seaford resident/Star Wars actress could help. Apparently the 1977 Star Wars is notorious for only having two females with speaking parts, one obviously being Carrie Fisher.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hang on! Is THAT how these conventions work? People pay money to get in, then queue up to pay more money, for a selfie with some failed RADA-schooled thesp, who had to lower himself to play 'Third from left Cyberman' in Series six of Doctor Who!!!??

They don't have to - they can pay in advance.

But yes. I can't entirely tell if you are genuinely shocked at that, but for those who aren't aware:

You pay to get in (£8 for entry from 11am, £15 if you're eager and want to get in at 9am). Then you can spend money at any of the stalls selling various pop/nerd culture wares, you can pay for photos with celebrities, you can pay for autographs with celebrities, you can pay for group photos (sometimes if there are several stars from the same show they will pose together), you can pay for photos with props (last year they had an iron throne, a delorean, a green screen with a velociraptor or the emperor's chair from Star Wars, this year there is a Groot and a tardis). There are also free talks from various guests, and free games rooms (one for computer/console gaming including retro consoles, one for board games), and you also get to see loads of people dress up in some sometimes rather impressive outfits.

And yes, you do get some strenuous claims to celebrity. In November there were several Star Wars "stars" who you would miss if you blinked at the wrong time, or some who you wouldn't know if it was really them or not because of the make up (The London show has Dixie Arnold - his photo suggests he's the guy Poe Damarron was talking to when he notices Fin has found the resistance's base in the force awakens).

But there are also some major stars. Last year they had John Hurt, George Romero, Carl Weathers, Kenny Baker. In their flagship London Comic Con this year they have the likes of Dolph Lundgren, Mads Mikkelsen, Ron Perlman, Famke Janssen, Rutger Hauer, Several of the power rangers from when that show was still popular (not quite the original lot, except the green ranger!), Judge Reinhold Bronson Pinochet, John Ashton and Steven Berkoff for a mini Murphy-less Beverly Hills Cop reunion, Julian Sands, David Prowse.

I had no idea they were doing an event this weekend, are they going to do one this November?

I don't know. I don't know if they are trying to run it twice a year, or if they are trying to make it a summer event.

Out of interest, some elderly woman barged in front of me at the ticket office at Seaford train station two months ago, I thought, fair enough, she must be in a hurry and let her do her thing. When I got to the window the woman behind the counter told me that she was in the original 1977 Star Wars and was off to appear at a fan convention and had to get the train just about to depart. Some Comic Con fan must know who she is because no amount of Google-ing Seaford resident/Star Wars actress could help. Apparently the 1977 Star Wars is notorious for only having two females with speaking parts, one obviously being Carrie Fisher.

Going back to Hans Kraay's point. She might not have had a speaking role. I remember at the November one, there were a couple of women from star wars I have zero recollection of. They may just have been visible in one of the scenes.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Aunt Beru's actress?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Would love to meet Chris Barrie, a very underrated actor/comic.

Whilst Red Dwarf isn't what it used to be it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say on the new series.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Coincidentally, Phoenix Comicon started yesterday. Just looking at their website, it costs $45 for entry tomorrow. If you want Billie Piper's autograph it'll cost you another $60, and a photo opportunity will cost $65 ($110 for Billie Piper and Alex Kingston together). Who pays that sort of money? :shrug:

I'm sure Billie is enjoying her stay in Phoenix; it could reach 118F tomorrow (48C).

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
According to Wikipedia, Shelagh Fraser, died in 2000, so if it was her then you should be pretty scared!

Sent from the boot of Lingard

My reply was confusing Jon, I wasn't referring to Shelagh Fraser as the Seaford actress, but as a woman who didn't have a speaking part in the 1977 film...either that or it might have been Miss Tansley, the glamorous ex-Seaford Head Lower School PE teacher, who knows... ;)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My reply was confusing Jon, I wasn't referring to Shelagh Fraser as the Seaford actress, but as a woman who didn't have a speaking part in the 1977 film...either that or it might have been Miss Tansley, the glamorous ex-Seaford Head Lower School PE teacher, who knows... ;)
Miss Tansley!

Memories.....

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here