Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kayal and Stephens to be offered extended contracts

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
According to the Argus. This was obviously going to happen but let's hope terms can be agreed for both asap to help build for next season.

If not, then do we sell now to avoid either leaving on a free in 12 months time? Perhaps a deadline should be given to them to sign, to avoid weeks of uncertainty

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
These two signing will secure another amazing season spent in the top three. Fingers crossed we get both on long contracts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
According to the Argus. This was obviously going to happen but let's hope terms can be agreed for both asap to help build for next season.

If not, then do we sell now to avoid either leaving on a free in 12 months time? Perhaps a deadline should be given to them to sign, to avoid weeks of uncertainty

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

To state the obvious, you can only sell if you have offers.

Hopefully the new contracts will be enough to tie them down further, but still doesn't tule out bids coming in.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Let's hope they sign reasonably quickly, but they may wait to see if any Premier League clubs are showing an interest before they commit, unfortunately a club like ourselves are vulnerable to cash rich clubs cherry picking the better players.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Excellent news. They're both so important to us and probably the best midfield pairing in the Championship.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To state the obvious, you can only sell if you have offers.

Hopefully the new contracts will be enough to tie them down further, but still doesn't tule out bids coming in.
The 25 man squad rule in the PL is massive for us.

Stephens and Kayal are not punts for the future ( like Dunk, Goldson or March would be ).

This means that the only PL clubs who may possibly make a bid are those who are shipping out a midfielder.

Rule out the PL top 6 - 8 as well.

So Burnely need a replacement for Barton but are there many other 'danger' midfield squad vacancies in the PL ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
My guess is that Kayal will sign a new deal. He seems very matey with Bloom and others at the club, and plays alongside his best mate.

I am less confident about Stephens signing - his agent forever puts out tales of him wanting to move North, and the twitter nonsense about Burnley wanting him may not be complete fabrication.

Hope they both sign.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had heard that they turned down the initial contract offers.

Par for the course for this sort of thing, surely? They'll start high, we'll start lower and at some point you'd hope some mutual ground is found.

At a guess, I'd expect they'd want another three years, to take them to four, on significantly improved terms.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Par for the course for this sort of thing, surely? They'll start high, we'll start lower and at some point you'd hope some mutual ground is found.

At a guess, I'd expect they'd want another three years, to take them to four, on significantly improved terms.

I would presume the offers were at the lower end and if the club did break its wage structure to keep Dunk, it will mean all these players will be asking for parity.

Nothing to worry about at the moment, I suspect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The next contracts for Kayal and Stephens are the big ones for them personally. We'll have to increase the wages budget.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They should sign irrespective because they would then get to command higher wages and the club would be able to command a higher fee, should any offers be forthcoming.

That is too logical for a footballer or his agent to take in, most are only interested in what offer is already on the table.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is too logical for a footballer or his agent to take in, most are only interested in what offer is already on the table.

Complete drivel. Agents spend weeks - or months - negotiating on behalf of their clients. What on earth do you think they have an agent for?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hang on, I thought anything that Andy Naylor/The Argus wrote was a load of rubbish?

I've not seen this mentioned on NSC before now, so WHERE are they getting these stories from? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here