Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plastic £5 Notes

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Coming soon to your wallet.. The good news is that they will last longer thus saving the Bank of England a packet . The bad news is that the Banking & Retail Industries will have to spend an estimated £200 million to change their machines .

They are also reported to have a tendency to stick together, which is good news if you are drawing money from an ATM but bad news if you are buying a drink in a busy bar....

Couple that with introduction next year of a new 12 sided £1 coin and the retailers are facing a big investment in updating their machines

Any thoughts ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bloody plastic £5 notes, only here cause it's a nice stadium with a padded seat. They've all got Premier League clubs they really support etc...etc....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Using plastic notes at present, very acceptable but a huge cost to the the vending industry

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Using plastic notes at present, very acceptable but a huge cost to the the vending industry

I'd have thought the vending machines companies will be rubbing their hands at this.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'd have thought the vending machines companies will be rubbing their hands at this.

To a certain extent they are as a licence to print money in conversion costs however ultimately cost of goods will go up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To a certain extent they are as a licence to print money in conversion costs however ultimately cost of goods will go up.

More and more vending machines will accept smart cards and the likes of Apple Pay, so costs won't rise as the vending machines will not need emptying of cash, and paying into banks, as often as before.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't need the notes to be so big.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I'm sure there are many countries that already use plastic notes, I know of Australia and Singapore for a start

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I only ever seem to see fivers when I'm up north.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I was shown samples when they were designing them a couple of years ago. Look and feel just like the Aussie notes which used to go through a good few wash cycles no problem when I left them in my trouser pocket :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here