• Bin the programmes

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Does anyone else have stashes of football programmes that they have no intention of ever looking at but just can't bring themselves to throw away?

I have moved house several times and each time look at them and just about decide not to throw them. But have just moved again and am sorting through stuff and there they are again. Shall I just chuck them now and be done with it.

Most are in the 80's, 90's and 2000's. No one will want them. I'm never going to look at them. Or am I?

Maybe when I'm retired I'll have nothing better to do?!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe when I'm retired I'll have nothing better to do?!

Its probably one of those things that if you did ever throw them out, you would sometime later regret the decision.

The sitting down and looking at each season when you are retired sounds a great idea, as no doubt many memories would come flooding back.

If you are not short of storage space I would keep them.

I have all my programmes and wouldn't part with them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have loads and intend to keep them all. Moved recently and went through them remembering the scores, line ups and the day out was quite nice.

Surprised that I only had to look up a couple of the results as the programme brought most of them back to me. I love keeping them and will never stop

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've got a load of Albion ones from the 70's and would never throw them but any programme I buy now I just bin then

I kept mine until we played Walsall 7-0 in the late seventies. That one got sogging wet and the collection had one missing.

ChelseaProgramme_4306.jpg

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I binned most of mine recently only keeping the ones that mean something. My first ever game. Last at Goldstone. First at Amex. Play - off v Millwall for example. And the ones that have been signed.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I binned most of mine recently only keeping the ones that mean something. My first ever game. Last at Goldstone. First at Amex. Play - off v Millwall for example. And the ones that have been signed.

Similar. We've had some building work done recently and I needed to have a good clear out. I went through all mine and extracted those that had special memories or perhaps a bit rarer Albion opponents etc.

I put the rest on Freecycle and a young chap aged 9 or 10 asked for them, via his dad. His face was a picture when he saw them.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i have a whole bin bag under the bed full of programmes.

when I used to go on the junior seagulls coach to gillingham, we were given one free and I kept every one...I also have quite a few Goldstone ones, withdean ones and only 1 or two from amex.

i also have loads of away games ones and quite a few huddersfield programmes and special Cup ones etc.

One day i will probably bin them or give them to charity shop as I never look at them anymore!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a youngster, maybe 10 years old, I used to follow Waterlooville FC with my Grandad who was the club president. As I'd go on the club coach to away games, I'd always be at some ground in some village or town 2 hours before KO, and so I'd visit the club shop and browse through programmes and ended up with a bit of a collection. At one point I think I had 10 seasons of Waterlooville FC home and away programmes complete. In the end, I gave them all to the now Havant and Waterlooville club so that perhaps some other young kid can take a trip down memory lane and read about what was going on in the history of a football club.

Thing is, they're not very interesting until they get old. Like the post above, a programme gets to say 40 or 50 years old and that it has real nostalgic historical value.

That is something I miss now at football, club shops are all in the present, like shiny supermarkets, you don't have those racks of old used programmes selling for 50p that your anorak can browse for that missing gem from their collection, or discover some random game that happened at a ground you'd never heard of.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
They're a record of all the games I've been to, so no, I'd never throw them out. I just regret that there were a lot of games I didn't buy a programme.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I avoid buying a program these days, because I can't throw them away and I don't want to expand the boxes of old programs in the loft.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have more of my dad's programmes than my own.
As would seem customary I have a big box in the loft containing programmes from the 1950's & 60's mainly Arsenal, Chelsea etc and a fair few Scottish ones (National Service).

A while ago I ebayed some random Scottish ones, all selling for decent money,
Then I put a Scottish League Cup quarter or semi final programme up, and the Scotchland t'internet went nuts.
It went for 3 figures (I think) after a fair few people wanted to do a deal while also sending me lists if other 'missing' programmes, they thought I might have.

As have mentioned before the jewel in the programme collection crown is this, from 1932:-

540x360.jpg

in pristine condition plus the matchday ticket.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Give them to [MENTION=118]Hiney[/MENTION] he collects programmes doesn't he or did I dream that? If I did dream it, I wonder why I'm dreaming about hiney....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Faced with the OP's dilemma a few years back I got all my programmes, barring a few valuable ones, and ripped out almost all of the middle sections, just keeping the cover and the manager's notes page. Amazing how much bulk you can get rid of that way and I've still got the memories if I need them even though I know I'll probably never look at them again, but they're now in a more space-saving form.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I just found this old programme. We're playing them in the league next season now. Dean White on the front cover too.

IMG-20160602-00069.jpg

Last edited:

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I charity shopped all my Amex era programmes recently, but bought these on eBay a while back and have held on to them for some reason
e911f94497a2d52c76d9e844e10e3f89.jpg

I voted that you should keep them (which I believe you should).

If you bin them, you will reduce the supply and this will make my own programmes slightly rarer and therefore worth more and in time this will force me to increase my insurance.

Do the right thing!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here