Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Serious Question. Has Springsteen got a younger rival?

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Bruce is the greatest live entertainer that I've ever seen in concert, but he's 65. Has he got a younger rival? Jason Isbell is brilliant, but is not in the same league. Ryan Adams is brilliant, but is not on the Same planet. Cory Chisel's delivery is phenomenal, but he delivers a selection of songs that are at best banal. Who is the next Springsteen?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Bruce is the greatest live entertainer that I've ever seen in concert, but he's 65. Has he got a younger rival? Jason Isbell is brilliant, but is not in the same league. Ryan Adams is brilliant, but is not on the Same planet. Cory Chisel's delivery is phenomenal, but he delivers a selection of songs that are at best banal. Who is the next Springsteen?

There is no performer that I have seen who comes close really and certainly no-one who is any younger who seems to be coming through to take over his mantle.
The only band that I have seen who is near (certainly in terms of the energy coming off the stage) is the band J J Grey and Mofro - I saw them first in the States at a blues festival and then again at the Boom Boom Club in Sutton and they are really good but they aren't in the same league as Bruce.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think given the complete landscape change in the music industry there is less opportunity for anyone to be the same as Bruce.
Although he he had a few hit singles around the Born in the USA time he is mainly an album artist with most of his show being album tracks. However for the younger generation the album is dead.
Also many of todays performers have been brought up on lipsynicing rather than learning to play live and progress from small venues to stadiums.
Also their careers are very much shorter.
But it is all in music fans ears. Bob Dylan has many faithful fans but to me I tune out as I jyst dont like his singing voice. So if someone posed the question for Bob I would say yes as a songwriter but no as a performer and recording artist

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

Why is he the greatest live entertainer?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Also many of todays performers have been brought up on lipsynicing rather than learning to play live and progress from small venues to stadiums.

Disagree entirely. The entire history of Top of the Pops was everyone, no matter how big or small, lip-synching. And during that time there have always been one hit wonders, bands cashing in on the zeitgeist sounds and then disappearing. Many fall, a few stick around. Nothing has changed in that respect. The medium has changed and there's a lot less lip-synching because most bands aren't on the telly anymore and touring and festivals are how a lot of bands are making their money. It's simply not true that new bands don't learn to play live.

There are also a lot more festivals so bands don't need to play stadia so often. Some bands prefer stadia, some prefer festivals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Bruce is the greatest live entertainer that I've ever seen in concert, but he's 65. Has he got a younger rival?

Not sure, because I can't be bother to check whether Bryan Adams is older or younger. Outside of the world of Springsteen worshippers, they would be considered interchangeable Dad-rock.

Both been around for ever, both famous for a few iconic tracks (Summer of 69 > Born in the USA) yet one is considered naff and somehow Springsteen is deified.

Not for me, Clive.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not sure, because I can't be bother to check whether Bryan Adams is older or younger. Outside of the world of Springsteen worshippers, they would be considered interchangeable Dad-rock.

Both been around for ever, both famous for a few iconic tracks (Summer of 69 > Born in the USA) yet one is considered naff and somehow Springsteen is deified.

Not for me, Clive.

Everything I do I DO it for YOU

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think given the complete landscape change in the music industry there is less opportunity for anyone to be the same as Bruce.
Although he he had a few hit singles around the Born in the USA time he is mainly an album artist with most of his show being album tracks. However for the younger generation the album is dead.
But it is all in music fans ears. Bob Dylan has many faithful fans but to me I tune out as I jyst dont like his singing voice. So if someone posed the question for Bob I would say yes as a songwriter but no as a performer and recording artist

Your post made me think of this which popped up on my fb page the other day :)

bandstshirt.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
It is frankly bizarre, and incredibly arrogant, to suggest that Bruce is the greatest live performer there is when that is clearly just your opinion.

I have no desire to see Bruce live, and I am not a fan of his music. Seeing film of him performing live...I find that dull too.

I go to a lot of gigs, and like everyone else I have my favourites. But they are MY favourites, and no more or less worthy than Bruce.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
It is frankly bizarre, and incredibly arrogant, to suggest that Bruce is the greatest live performer there is when that is clearly just your opinion.

I have no desire to see Bruce live, and I am not a fan of his music. Seeing film of him performing live...I find that dull too.

I go to a lot of gigs, and like everyone else I have my favourites. But they are MY favourites, and no more or less worthy than Bruce.

As a Springsteen fan i agree with you. Music it,s so subjective. We all get to hear and see local bands play live and yes many cover,s but surely is part of the process upwards ? What is for me and this countries music is so band driven you never see a band on BGT etc. Now that needs seriously questioning.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As a Springsteen fan i agree with you. Music it,s so subjective. We all get to hear and see local bands play live and yes many cover,s but surely is part of the process upwards ? What is for me and this countries music is so band driven you never see a band on BGT etc. Now that needs seriously questioning.

Yeah, but any band that goes on BGT or The X Factor will immediately lose any credibility that they may have. That's the bubblegum nature of those programmes.

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I'm not going to deny that music is subjective, but subjectivity shouldn't be an excuse to compromise and tolerate crap. Springsteen is the Lionel Messi of the live music world. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Adam El Abds out there. There's probably more chance of a teenage Lionel Messi coming through the ranks somewhere, than a new Springsteen in his 20's starting up. I don't think that subjectivity comes into it when you are trying to establish whether Messi is more gifted than El Abd. Same applies when you are comparing Tracey Emin's unmade dirty bed to a to a Botticelli.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm not going to deny that music is subjective, but subjectivity shouldn't be an excuse to compromise and tolerate crap. Springsteen is the Lionel Messi of the live music world. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Adam El Abds out there. There's probably more chance of a teenage Lionel Messi coming through the ranks somewhere, than a new Springsteen in his 20's starting up. I don't think that subjectivity comes into it when you are trying to establish whether Messi is more gifted than El Abd. Same applies when you are comparing Tracey Emin's unmade dirty bed to a to a Botticelli.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder my friend. And comparing football with art is a very poor analogy....it just doesn't work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And what's your point? Springsteen plays stadia regularly. So do many artists. As it happens I like Springsteen, have his records and have seen him live. But I can say this about many other artists. He's great, but so are many many others.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I can honestly say he simply doesn't do it for me. As for him being the grestest live performer? Is that a joke? Not in the same league as the late Freddie Mercury. Not even close

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Not for me, Clive.

Exactly. Just don't get the Springsteen thing at all - Dancing in the Dark, Born in the USA, I'm on Fire, Born to Run, Glory Days, Drive All Night and many many more of his are songs that should have absolutely no credibility at all and yet they are so revered by the masses. Can you imagine the reaction if Coldplay had released half of those (obviously not Born in the USA!)?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here