Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England v Scotland - Euro 96 Group Stage game LIVE NOW

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I won £28 on this match, on a scorecast of Shearer and 2-0.
That was a lot of money back then for a 20 year old!

Not so cracking touch as the £100 I won a few days after when we thumped the Dutch!!

According to Ladbrokes, I was the only punter in the country to bet on a 4-1 win
#truestory

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I remember watching it on TV. I was only 10 at the time.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Remember it being a poor game but Gazza's goal lit up Wembley and every pub in the country, remember watching it in the now demolished Windmill pub in Southwick

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Funny, my memory was that we were class. Having just watched it again however we were far from it.

Guess I may have been blurring bits from this one and the Holland game

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched this round a mates house, who was at the time living with his parents. A whole group of us and, quite joyously, a SCOTCHMAN who I used to work with.

Oh how he roared when they got that pen. Oh how he slumped when Seaman saved. And then...when we went up the other end and Gascoigne did that thing to Hendry. Well, 6 pissed up englishman bundled into the garden shouting and screaming, and LUZZED the entire plastic patio set into the pond. When we went back inside, the scotch was sat there, head in hands staring at the floor, with my mates dear old mum softly stroking his shoulder saying "are you alright love ?"

:lolol:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Incredible that two years later, the BUFFOON that is Glans Hoddle dropped Gazza in favour of Rob Lee. A bit like dropping Vicente to make room for Kemy

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Incredible that two years later, the BUFFOON that is Glans Hoddle dropped Gazza in favour of Rob Lee. A bit like dropping Vicente to make room for Kemy

There is a lot more to that dropping of gazza that makes my blood boil when I think about it.

Gascoigne was dropped to make a statement by Glenda. He made it in such a callous way that when Gascoigne went off on one afterwards there was nobody to support and help him.

Despite being a flair player himself, hodd didn't like young flair players. He stressed Beckham to such a degree, ruined his confidence and belittled him in training that his blow up was unsurprising

Tactically a good manager. Man management of zero

The almost exact opposite of keegan who would have players running through brick walls for him but had no game plan

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There is a lot more to that dropping of gazza that makes my blood boil when I think about it.

Gascoigne was dropped to make a statement by Glenda. He made it in such a callous way that when Gascoigne went off on one afterwards there was nobody to support and help him.

Despite being a flair player himself, hodd didn't like young flair players. He stressed Beckham to such a degree, ruined his confidence and belittled him in training that his blow up was unsurprising

The almost exact opposite of keegan who would have players running through brick walls for him but had no game plan

Not to say the way Hoddle belittled the players in training, I wonder if El Tel had been kept on we might have won the 1998 World Cup ?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
History has been fortunate on that England team. Bar the Dutch game where we were Brilliant we were very average in every other game. The Spanish should've beaten us and we were fortunate to beat Hodgson's Swiss team. From memory Venables overall record wasn't exactly spectacular.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
History has been fortunate on that England team. Bar the Dutch game where we were Brilliant we were very average in every other game. The Spanish should've beaten us and we were fortunate to beat Hodgson's Swiss team. From memory Venables overall record wasn't exactly spectacular.

We were brilliant against ze germans. That was an EPIC performance, desperately unlucky not to win that.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not so cracking touch as the £100 I won a few days after when we thumped the Dutch!!

Think that game may have contributed to the start of the end of my marriage. My then wife was Dutch, and we had agreed to watch the game separately and, whatever the result, not to antagonise each other afterwards. Well, very sorry ex-Mrs P, I just couldn't help myself after that one :lolol:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Been saying this for years whenever anyone says that Hoddle is a good manager. He ruined that team.

Agree with what Ernest said too. A nasty man who thinks he's way more intelligent than he is.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I won £28 on this match, on a scorecast of Shearer and 2-0.
That was a lot of money back then for a 20 year old!

According to Ladbrokes, I was the only punter in the country to bet on a 4-1 win
#truestory

That's taking aftertiming to new uncharted levels! :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here