Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Paultons Park or Chessington (or Thorpe Park)?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looking to take my 6-year-old for a day out tomorrow. Legoland was the last theme park we took him to, so that's out of consideration for now so I'm mainly considering:

- Paultons. We've never been, and they seem to have only recently opened up a big dinosaur themed area and their website seems to suggest they have far more rides than I would have guessed.
- Chessington. I think the last time I went it was a zoo. I'm quite surprised to see from their website that not only do they still have a zoo but a Sealife Centre too, and all are included with the one admission. And a fair few rides too, obvs.

He's been going on about seeing penguins recently - not entirely sure why, but it seems both of these parks have them which is a bonus.

I guess we'd consider Thorpe Park too, although they don't seem to have penguins.

Any views on which may be better? Anyone been to Paultons since they opened their Lost Kingdom dinosaur area thing a couple of weeks ago?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rule out Thorpe Park, it's more geared to teenagers. Paultons for a 6 year old, IMO. It is clean and the queues are not as bad as Chessers - although visit Peppa Pig world first because that does get super busy.

Alternatively, just ask what Bruno would do. The answer is of course that he would go to Paultons.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Paulton's Park is definitely more targeted at his age group. Haven't been for years though as our kids are much older now.

Chessington will have quite a few rides that he can't go on. Still plenty to do though - and always vouchers available for 2 for 1 etc... to keep the cost down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a hoot hoot.

At 6 years old Jnr Bozza is smack bang in their age bracket.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Looking to take my 6-year-old for a day out tomorrow. Legoland was the last theme park we took him to, so that's out of consideration for now so I'm mainly considering:

- Paultons. We've never been, and they seem to have only recently opened up a big dinosaur themed area and their website seems to suggest they have far more rides than I would have guessed.
- Chessington. I think the last time I went it was a zoo. I'm quite surprised to see from their website that not only do they still have a zoo but a Sealife Centre too, and all are included with the one admission. And a fair few rides too, obvs.

He's been going on about seeing penguins recently - not entirely sure why, but it seems both of these parks have them which is a bonus.

I guess we'd consider Thorpe Park too, although they don't seem to have penguins.

Any views on which may be better? Anyone been to Paultons since they opened their Lost Kingdom dinosaur area thing a couple of weeks ago?

Bit of a drive I know, but well worth visiting if interested, we took our nephew's there when younger.

http://www.bekonscot.co.uk/
http://www.oddsfarm.co.uk/

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As others have said Paulton's for a 6 year old. Thorpe Park definitely for older children, lots of height restrictions on rides.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Defo Paulton's. I went there in April with my boy. Loads to do he will love it!!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Head down to Cornwall and go to Flambards if it still exists - we used to go on holiday down there as kids and would always go there for the pure tack factor and a laugh. then they got this amazing ride and it ruined the fun as it was actually good

I've just checked their website and it does now look genuinely good!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Paultons is great for kids up to about 10. There's loads for them to do which isn't as terrifying as the bigger parks. Try and find a dry day though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Head down to Cornwall and go to Flambards if it still exists - we used to go on holiday down there as kids and would always go there for the pure tack factor and a laugh. then they got this amazing ride and it ruined the fun as it was actually good

I've just checked their website and it does now look genuinely good!

We went to that when staying in a cottage down that way a few years ago. A bit far for a day trip I fear.

Looks like Paultons is the winner.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Definitely Paultons.

I my experience it's legoland (which you've already done) Paultons and then Chessington in that order but I do have 3 kids between 9 and 3 to cater for. For a 6 year old the Paultons wins and reports of the new dinosaur area from friends who've been is that it's really well done

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yup, can't really go wrong with Paultons for that agegroup. Its pretty reasonable pricewise, the queues aren't mental, and its a piece of piss to get to, just a couple of minutes off J2 of the M27. Not been there for a few years mind, but we went 2 or 3 times when the kids were U10.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cheapskate. Disney is perfect for 6. Take him to Paris. Or Florida. Or California. *nods*

Paulton's.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cheapskate. Disney is perfect for 6. Take him to Paris. Or Florida. Or California. *nods*

Paulton's.

He'll be having 16 nights in Disney World about 10 weeks from now. He's already a veteran of 4 Disney World visits, 2 Disney cruises and 2 Christmas visits to Disneyland Paris.

As such I was previously concerned he'd feel a bit underwhelmed with UK parks, but he loved Legoland. Tickets for Paultons for tomorrow already booked!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here