Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hi-Tech or just really lazy?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
attachment.php
Had to happen I suppose. I saw this bad boy in the local electrical store. It’s a Samsung Fridge complete with internal cameras that lets you check the contents on your smartphone to see if you are running low on anything, eventually it will automatically order items for you. Bound to be a big hit here in the States as it will let the average lardarse make sure they never run out of ice cream, burgers, etc.

Attachments

• samsung-family-hub-fridge-1.jpg
    samsung-family-hub-fridge-1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,610

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
gimmick. they've been trying to sell us the dream of "internet of things" and devices such as online fridges since the 2000 dot com boom. a few phone controled lights, or a online accessible (and hackable) security camera aside, no one i knows has the least interest in it all. the idea you can internet control your washing machine is daft to most people. this fridge with a camera to see whats in is at least more usful than the idea of one that automatically updates your shopping list (presumbaly online) as you use stuff.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seems to be the craze now that we must have an app for everything. Personally I have always found walking into the kitchen and opening the fridge door and looking inside works very well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Always loved Homer's approach to lazy and fridge

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's not an essential piece of life changing technology but I imagine it will be relatively useful for some people in America(or Canada, Australia etc) who live a fair distance from a supermarket. If they go to a supermarket on their way home from work, for example, it'd be handy to know what you need to buy.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
attachment.php
Had to happen I suppose. I saw this bad boy in the local electrical store. It’s a Samsung Fridge complete with internal cameras that lets you check the contents on your smartphone to see if you are running low on anything, eventually it will automatically order items for you. Bound to be a big hit here in the States as it will let the average lardarse make sure they never run out of ice cream, burgers, etc.
Looks like someone's kicked the shite out of the fridge already. :lolol:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I have a pen and a pad of paper, and add shopping items as soon as I'm aware I need them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's not the worst idea ever to be fair. I would assume that it would be useful for those random dashes to the shops.

It's a shame that hustle isn't still on TV as I have visions of someone using it as a safe with video monitoring that they would hack and steal the contents - I have just binged on Hustle to be fair

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
gimmick. they've been trying to sell us the dream of "internet of things" and devices such as online fridges since the 2000 dot com boom. a few phone controled lights, or a online accessible (and hackable) security camera aside, no one i knows has the least interest in it all.

Plenty of people use Hive (and similar) to control their heating remotely. Sky Go / V+ would have been the stuff of fantasy ten years ago. Now its absolutely normal that I can watch any of the 100 channels on my iPad, or access the box from anywhere in the world to set something to record, etc.

These things can quiet easily move on from 'why would you need that' to 'that's handy / normal'.

(Still not having the fridge though!)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I use Tado remote heating. As our working hours are far from 9 to 5 the heating was warming up an empty house. Now it knows 15 minutes prior to our arrival that we are driving home and heats up the house. Simply brilliant.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
There's a TV ad at the moment for a Samsung washing machine that allows you to add items that you might have neglected after you started the wash.

I'm so glad there's now a solution to a problem that I've had to face only a handful of times in my 48 years on this planet (and wasn't a big deal when it happened anyway). :rolleyes:

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
gimmick. they've been trying to sell us the dream of "internet of things" and devices such as online fridges since the 2000 dot com boom. a few phone controled lights, or a online accessible (and hackable) security camera aside, no one i knows has the least interest in it all. the idea you can internet control your washing machine is daft to most people. this fridge with a camera to see whats in is at least more usful than the idea of one that automatically updates your shopping list (presumbaly online) as you use stuff.

I disagree. IoT is/ will be massive. Vehicles, Buildings, Roads, Bridges, White goods, anything and everything that can be hooked up to the net will be. Future generations will take this as the norm. The more data you get, the informed decisions you can make.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I went to the supermarket a couple of hours ago and when I got home I realised I'd forgotten to get one item. I've just been back to the shop and got it.

True story.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Plenty of people use Hive (and similar) to control their heating remotely. Sky Go / V+ would have been the stuff of fantasy ten years ago. Now its absolutely normal that I can watch any of the 100 channels on my iPad, or access the box from anywhere in the world to set something to record, etc.

These things can quiet easily move on from 'why would you need that' to 'that's handy / normal'.

(Still not having the fridge though!)

Yeah completely agree with this. There are lots of things that are really useful that people would never have dreamed possible a few years ago.

The fact that I can sit in the pub and access my PC at work from my phone to use the secure system to produce documents for clients is very cool. Cloud backup that saves everything automatically so that I can access all the files I work on at home when I get to the office without having to remember to specifically save stuff somewhere or carry a USB stick around. Simple stuff but it's completely changed the way people work.

And sitting watching the Ashes in a beach bar in Bulgaria, being able to set the Sky box to record The Verdict when we'd smashed the Aussies was another "isn't technology amazing" moment.

That fridge though. Meh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here