Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Match worn shirts

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I received a lovely gift on the weekend. I'm told it was a match worn shirt from the away game at Blackburn.

Is there an obvious way to tell the difference from the squad shirts to the replicas sold in the club store? Assuming they're different?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Could be the matchworn shirts have the Sky emblem on the top of the right hand sleeves

English-Football-skybetlogo2016.jpg

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Pretty sure there are differences in the way they are made?

I know all of the fuss about the England shirt being £90 was because it was the stadium shirt and therefore had differences in make to mean it caused less irritation while being worn. They were Nike so i would assume there is similar for the Albion shirts.

Edit: Had a little look and this may help, it has a section on Nike:

http://www.soccer.com/guide/authentic-vs-replica-do-you-know-the-difference/

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

I know all of the fuss about the England shirt being £90 was because it was the stadium shirt and therefore had differences in make to mean it caused less irritation while being worn. They were Nike so i would assume there is similar for the Albion shirts.

Thanks PRS - that was very interesting. I was surprised by the printed brand logo on the authentic compared to replica - if I saw the two side by side, I'd have assumed the printed was a fake/counterfeit.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Thanks PRS - that was very interesting. I was surprised by the printed brand logo on the authentic compared to replica - if I saw the two side by side, I'd have assumed the printed was a fake/counterfeit.

Same here - found it a pretty interesting read and something to pas the time after the long weekend making work drag (Still here as we have a 6pm finish after 8.30 start first day of the week)

The thing that amazed me is that it is to make it lighter - in my mind surely it wouldn't make that much difference?!

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
It has got to be extremely small a difference...

On a side note, I have found the Nike kits far better than the Errea ones in terms of overall comfort and durability. It's a nice material to my mind as well. I'm pleased BHA moved away from Errea...

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm pleased BHA moved away from Errea...

Whilst I don't like the Nike kit, I agree. People on here seem to have rose tinted specs on in regards to Errea. Their 2011-13 kit was excellent, but a lot of the others had been awful, 13-14 in particular. Take a look at last seasons Norwich kits to have a look at the kind of shite we could be stuck with.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Whilst I don't like the Nike kit, I agree. People on here seem to have rose tinted specs on in regards to Errea. Their 2011-13 kit was excellent, but a lot of the others had been awful, 13-14 in particular. Take a look at last seasons Norwich kits to have a look at the kind of shite we could be stuck with.

Or when they cocked up the blue and made us look like Argentina

As a side note I loved the 13-14 away kit

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I received a lovely gift on the weekend. I'm told it was a match worn shirt from the away game at Blackburn.

Is there an obvious way to tell the difference from the squad shirts to the replicas sold in the club store? Assuming they're different?

There's no difference in the replica and match shirts that the Albion use, I speak from experience as I've been Bruno's kit sponsor for some time now and he's given me match shirts from the past 2 seasons, they are the same as replicas form the club shop. The only way to know for sure if you have a match shirt is if you have a Certificate of Authenticity signed by someone you can trust, or if you get the shirt off the players back, so to speak.

Teams at the top often do have different type, usually tighter fitting, with no sewn in labels and heat sealed seams instead of stitched, the team badges and Nike logos can also be heat applied so no nasty threads on the inside to irritate the poor souls chests. Nike used to call them 'Code 7', think they might go by a different moniker now.

Adidas used to have Formotion for their player spec shirts, now known as Techfit, the fans shirts are Climacool. Basically they are the same as the Code 7 Nike shirts. Puma have a similar option, as indeed do probably most of the major manufacturers.

If you go back to the Ribero shirts we used to wear the player spec shirts always had a much larger Ribero logo on them compared to the replicas, I assume to do with better brand exposure for the occasions we had televised coverage. Take a look on my website at the Ribero shirts, you'll see what I mean.

On our Bukta shirts, later Adidas shirts, Spall and Sports Direct kits the team badge was a printed transfer on the replica shirts, and embroidered on the players shirts, which I guess was more about durability as the shirts would have to last the full season and put up with heavy duty washing.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks for the replies, so it could be legit or it could just be from the club shop. No certificate of authenticity. l'll ask where it came from.

Scarlet or Volt?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here