Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England squad announced for the Euros

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Townsend misses out to Sterling and Barkley.

Sturridge and Rashford picked, despite Sturridge always being injured.

Drinkwater left at home for being a Leicester player.

Al in all, though, this looks like the best, and most likeable squad the England have sent to a tournament for a while.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What happened to Townsend, I thought he was going to be great?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm surprised about Drinkwater's absence, and would have picked him above Barkley.
The squad is looking thin in central defensive positions: only three CBs, and Dier is the only recognisable defensive central midfielder (and may have to be moved back to CB if there are injuries and suspensions in that position). Given that, I'd have thought Drinkwater ought to be a must.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
What happened to Townsend, I thought he was going to be great?

Yeah, he disappeared for a few years - injured, and the couldn't get back in at Spurs?

Anyway, he has been excellent for Newcastle recently, nearly inspiring them to avoid relegation.

Call me an old cynic, but If they had stayed up, he'd probably have gone.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Townsend's been in good form of late. He's a wide player and offers more of a threat than Ross Barkley, who's had a miserable few months. He 'aint the new Gascoigne.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It's very odd being a fan of a club that boasts 5 terrific wide players and seeing your national team then decide to head off to a major championships with none!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Very happy with the squad that is going. It is probably the most likable squad we have had for a while.

Would have been nice to see Drinkwater go over Sturridge as I don't think we need 5 strikers and he appears to not be willing to play through any form of minor injury (based on radio and TV reporting of him) But all in all I think it is a nice enough team

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm another who would have taken Drinkwater. If Dier is fourth choice at centre back then we're going to need someone as cover for him in defensive midfield. None of the players taken are natural defensive midfielders. I know Hodgson has played Wilshere there but Wilshere is better further up the pitch. Drinkwater seems the most natural fit. I'd have taken him at the expense of Milner, Sturridge or Barkley.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I'm happy enough with it and it's what I expected, but I can't see what Barkley brings over Drinkwater or Townsend. Wilshire was always going to go, as was Sturridge.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sturridge will simply not hack a tournament. He can barely manage 2 games in a week, let alone potentially 4 or 5 in quick succession (lets be optimistic here). He'll be a waste of a place.

Very disappointed he's left out Townsend as well. I'd certainly have sacrificed Barkley for him, to give us some natural pace out wide. That's a baffling decision, I can only think Roy is covering the probability that Wilshire will break down at some point.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Townsend over Barkley for me too, possibly would have omitted Rashford as well on the basis of it's a bit soon and one goal against Australia a good striker does not make (eh Jeffers?).

Also, Lallana is poo.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hodgson was always going to take chances over the fitness of Sturridge & Wilshire - I expected nothing else there. It's possibly the fitness concerns over Sturridge that made the Rashford selection a more pressing case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here