Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Championship Rivals and Our Players (and lazy journalists)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having laughed at someone at Owlstalk thinking that they could get Dunk, Hemed and Knockaert from us without QPRing all over the FFP rules I took a look at some other forums. I should say that I have few problems with Premier League teams looking at top Championship players. Its annoying, but Bloom has always made it clear that, if they want to go and the price is right, he won't stand in a player's way. Stephens is apparently rumoured to be a potential target for Burnley, and however much of a sickener it would be to lose him to them, we would have to face the fact that they are now in a position to throw the cash about. (Not that Dyche will ever admit this).

However, I am surprised at the number of fans of our Championship rivals who seem to think that a rival would give them their best players at a price that they would be able to afford. There are messages on Norwich, Villa, Wednesday and Newcastle boards suggesting that they take our players. They all seem to want Knockaert although few of them can spell his name. Derby fans, perhaps because they are familiar with the Championship, seem to be the exception, in thinking that our lot are easily available to them.

I know all life is on message boards and to be fair, there are fans on the same boards telling their fellows of the facts of life in the Championship. However, the one that has annoyed me enough to post is not on a message board, but from the awful NE journalist Louise Taylor: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...united-rafa-benitez-champinoship-seven-things
She really should know that Tony Bloom will not sell to a Championship rival at a price they would be willing to pay. Her reporting of the 'Boro game showed her to be merely a self appointed cheerleader for the the three North East teams, but you would have thought that a professional journalist would have had a better understanding of the realities of our league. She also suggests Hull's left back as a target for Newcastle. That's Hull, who if they had lost on Saturday would have had parachute payments next year. You expect the big club nonsense from fans, but it seems that The Guardian is paying someone to spout this stuff.

Dunk, Hemed and Knockaert are as good as gone to Sheff:Dield Wednesday already.

I know this because their heads were turned when they saw Hillsborough.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Dunk, Hemed and Knockaert are as good as gone to Sheff:Dield Wednesday already.

I know this because their heads were turned when they saw Hillsborough.

Yeah they turned their heads to get out of that dump and back to the Amex as soon as possible.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Having laughed at someone at Owlstalk thinking that they could get Dunk, Hemed and Knockaert from us without QPRing all over the FFP rules I took a look at some other forums. I should say that I have few problems with Premier League teams looking at top Championship players. Its annoying, but Bloom has always made it clear that, if they want to go and the price is right, he won't stand in a player's way. Stephens is apparently rumoured to be a potential target for Burnley, and however much of a sickener it would be to lose him to them, we would have to face the fact that they are now in a position to throw the cash about. (Not that Dyche will ever admit this).

However, I am surprised at the number of fans of our Championship rivals who seem to think that a rival would give them their best players at a price that they would be able to afford. There are messages on Norwich, Villa, Wednesday and Newcastle boards suggesting that they take our players. They all seem to want Knockaert although few of them can spell his name. Derby fans, perhaps because they are familiar with the Championship, seem to be the exception, in thinking that our lot are easily available to them.

I know all life is on message boards and to be fair, there are fans on the same boards telling their fellows of the facts of life in the Championship. However, the one that has annoyed me enough to post is not on a message board, but from the awful NE journalist Louise Taylor: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...united-rafa-benitez-champinoship-seven-things
She really should know that Tony Bloom will not sell to a Championship rival at a price they would be willing to pay. Her reporting of the 'Boro game showed her to be merely a self appointed cheerleader for the the three North East teams, but you would have thought that a professional journalist would have had a better understanding of the realities of our league. She also suggests Hull's left back as a target for Newcastle. That's Hull, who if they had lost on Saturday would have had parachute payments next year. You expect the big club nonsense from fans, but it seems that The Guardian is paying someone to spout this stuff.

Having only skimmed the article I cannot see what has particularly annoyed you?

She has said that they are things Newcastle SHOULD do, not said they can, will or how much. Saying that they are players they should be trying to get and can fill a void. Isn't that actually doing her job well?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Having had a quick look at that owlstalk :lol: thread it seems there are at least as many sensible people saying there's no way they could sign Dunk or AK as there are deluded fools suggesting them as potential targets.

Although it's quite nice that such a MASSIVE club are so desperate to get their hands on our players obviously.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
i have read the Owlstalk thread on this also. And no one is really suggesting that they will be able to buy these players off us, more that they would like them.
Depsite what people think of Forisitieri... would i have him as our no10. Damn right i would, are we going to bid... no chance because its not going to happen

They are very much like us, absolutely no intention of selling to a championship rival.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

She has said that they are things Newcastle SHOULD do, not said they can, will or how much. Saying that they are players they should be trying to get and can fill a void. Isn't that actually doing her job well?

Indeed, the article was well written, informative and certainly not over the top. Difficult to see why OP has got so steamed up.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
If we sell our best players to our rival's then we might as well give up. No doubt offers will come in on deadline day and won't give us anytime at all to find suitable replacements.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Pretty sure we sold Craig Noone to Championship rival Cardiff. If Newcastle want to unburden themselves of the £40M or so parachute payment, there will be not a lot we can do.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Read NSC and you'll see our fans saying the same things about other clubs' players.

Wasn't there a thread on here the other day suggesting we could take a player from AS Monaco :lolol:

Some people need to chill out and enjoy the sunshine!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If we sell our best players to our rival's then we might as well give up. No doubt offers will come in on deadline day and won't give us anytime at all to find suitable replacements.

We won't need replacements if we don't sell.

Trust in Tony Bloom

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty sure we sold Craig Noone to Championship rival Cardiff. If Newcastle want to unburden themselves of the £40M or so parachute payment, there will be not a lot we can do.
Well then we'll have 40M and can buy them back :lolol:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

Indeed, the article was well written, informative and certainly not over the top. Difficult to see why OP has got so steamed up.

If all that is expected from broadsheet sports journalism is 'What a relegated big team should do is take players from the teams that finished third and fourth' then any fool who rings 606 could do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Noone was deemed surplus to requirements, isn't that why he was sold?
I wouldn't be surprised if Noone was sold because whatever was offered was considerably higher than what the Albion deemed to be his actual value.

The fact that he hasn't 'kicked on' since leaving, while only showing glimpses of the ability worthy of a big money transfer, would suggest the club called it right.

The same principle will be in play for last seasons star performers, only the money involved will be considerably higher.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
If all that is expected from broadsheet sports journalism is 'What a relegated big team should do is take players from the teams that finished third and fourth' then any fool who rings 606 could do it.

But isn't this sort of stuff just produced for the online element of the paper? Granted, if it was in the actual national broadsheet then I would agree as it belongs in something like the Argus

Also, pretty sure that some of the stuff is written like that deliberately, then the fool who calls 606 feels informed and that their opinions are correct. As such they will end up reading more on the same site as 'they are talking my language'

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
But isn't this sort of stuff just produced for the online element of the paper? Granted, if it was in the actual national broadsheet then I would agree as it belongs in something like the Argus

Also, pretty sure that some of the stuff is written like that deliberately, then the fool who calls 606 feels informed and that their opinions are correct. As such they will end up reading more on the same site as 'they are talking my language'

I'm probably a bit prejudiced as I do read the paper version and am repeatedly annoyed by Louise Taylor. She gets given everything that relates to Newcastle, Sunderland and 'Boro, regardless of who they are playing and writes it all in a one sided fashion that puts their importance and interests above the rest of the country's. As you say, acceptable if she was working for a local, but she isn't and the paper doesn't have an equivalent South Coast correspondent writing about us So'ton and Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here