Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boxing - Ken Buchanan

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Not my thing, but has anyone heard of Ken Buchanan?

According to his Wikipedia entry, Buchanan "is regarded by many as not only the greatest Scottish boxer of all time, but also one of the greatest British fighters ever, and the greatest British lightweight boxer in history."

He is a long-standing friend of Ricky Marlowe, and attends the REMF match each year - has done for the past 10 years. As I said, boxing isn't my thing, but I got a chance to natter to him this evening after the match. Lovely fella. Nice to know people supporting REMF on such a basis.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Not heavily into boxing but certainly know of Ken Buchanan. World lightweight champion in the early 70s. As you say, it's nice to know people like him are showing an interest in such a good cause.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He's most famous for having lost to Roberto Duran. Controversial end as many claim a low blow was the difference. Buchanan had to have surgery on his nuts I think.

I've never seen him box, but he's incredibly well regarded by boxing experts.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Boxing hall of famer, a true great, imagine a boxing forum with a thread "Does anyone know who Martin Peters is?" and that's the equivalent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not my thing, but has anyone heard of Ken Buchanan?

According to his Wikipedia entry, Buchanan "is regarded by many as not only the greatest Scottish boxer of all time, but also one of the greatest British fighters ever, and the greatest British lightweight boxer in history."
Perhaps a slight over-use of 'greatest' in that description, but certainly he was very, very good.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Like a few here not the biggest Boxing fan,but Harry Carpenter (and couldn't we do we a few more like him now) the BBC and then ITV during the 70,s and 80,s covered Boxing pretty well IMHO and then we got 101 Belt,s Division,s,Pay to View,Loser's and Winner,s and people simply lost interest.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
didn't he beat Jim Watt over 15 rounds back then

some achievement avioding the Glasgow kiss for 15 rounds :lol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I recall he was famous for wearing Tartan Trunks before all the jazzed up gear became fashionable but I was very young when he boxed

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here