Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Advice required - Televisions

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
My TV seems to have packed up tonight so may need replacing. It's a 40" Viera link Panasonic that is 10 years old and it connects to a Panasonic DVD Home Theatre sound system with 4 speakers and also attached to a Humax box. It could be just a faulty on off switch as it has mis fired a couple of times in the past.

Firstly is it worth getting it looked at or is that pointless in a 10 year old TV? Secondly what are the options available for an upgrade in terms of compatibility of the sound system, new technology etc etc. I have generally had Panasonics and have been happy with the quality but am open to suggestions.

Cost is not a major issue but we don't watch that much TV but happy to creep towards the £1000 mark if necessary.

I am sure the great and the good of NSC will be there in my hour of need....over to you

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have you at least checked the plug fuse?

What lead connects it to the HT sound system?

What TV do you watch, freeview, Sky, or DVDs?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Televisions have come on leaps and bounds in the last ten years so would look at getting a new one. Excellent range and value out there, you could get a good 40" replacement for around the £500 price range. Half the fun is shopping around there is so much choice. The retailers/consumer sites will tell you about the best buys and if your home theatre system is compatible which I would expect it would be as most are backward compatible.

Dorset Seagull

:)

So you can keep your existing sound etc and just swap your TV. At 40 / 43" you can get an excellent TV for half your budget.

What size do you want?
Will anyone ever game on it?

Just been doing some research and the 50" Panasonic looks attractive price on offer at £799. The HDR looks like it makes a difference but not sure if this is standard on tv's these days. Will not be using it for gaming. This model has a single processor but others have 2. Any idea what that means?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Does it switch itself on and off randomly? If so, might be a loose connection in the plug, which I assume is one of those moulded ones. We had the same problem with a CRT widescreen. Philips agreed to replace the cathode ray tube because some engineer said it was shorting but it turned out to be a lose wire. Cut the plug off and fit one a new one. Might save a few quid.

Dorset Seagull

Does it switch itself on and off randomly? If so, might be a loose connection in the plug, which I assume is one of those moulded ones. We had the same problem with a CRT widescreen. Philips agreed to replace the cathode ray tube because some engineer said it was shorting but it turned out to be a lose wire. Cut the plug off and fit one a new one. Might save a few quid.
No it's just that on a couple of occasions I have pushed the switch in and nothing happened but then it clicked in on the 3rd attempt. That's was a while ago now but tonight when I push it in nothing happens at all

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just been doing some research and the 50" Panasonic looks attractive price on offer at £799. The HDR looks like it makes a difference but not sure if this is standard on tv's these days.
It's just marketing. Compare the picture and pros and cons of each model.

This model has a single processor but others have 2. Any idea what that means?
For apps that come with the TV, like YouTube etc.

Are you watching the TV in a brightly lit room, perhaps with windows reflecting off the screen, or are you watching in the evening in a dark room? Different TVs perform differently in those situations.

Dorset Seagull

It's just marketing. Compare the picture and pros and cons of each model.

For apps that come with the TV, like YouTube etc.

Are you watching the TV in a brightly lit room, perhaps with windows reflecting off the screen, or are you watching in the evening in a dark room? Different TVs perform differently in those situations.
Mainly just in the evenings with normal lighting

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mainly just in the evenings with normal lighting
When you go to crappy stores to compare TVs it's incredibly bright inside, and for a TV to stand out it needs to be bright with unrealistic vivid colours. So be wary if you go to rubbish stores.

Personally I like a TV with deep dark blacks, so that when I'm watching something with some dark scenes, it looks right.
I also avoid TVs with motion blur, as I watch sports.

I've not been looking for anything recently though, so I won't make a recommendation, other than to suggest you check out https://www.avforums.com/forums/which-tv-should-i-buy.367/

Dorset Seagull

When you go to crappy stores to compare TVs it's incredibly bright inside, and for a TV to stand out it needs to be bright with unrealistic vivid colours. So be wary if you go to rubbish stores.

Personally I like a TV with deep dark blacks, so that when I'm watching something with some dark scenes, it looks right.
I also avoid TVs with motion blur, as I watch sports.

I've not been looking for anything recently though, so I won't make a recommendation, other than to suggest you check out https://www.avforums.com/forums/which-tv-should-i-buy.367/
Thanks Trigg, excellent site for us numpties

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My TV seems to have packed up tonight so may need replacing. It's a 40" Viera link Panasonic that is 10 years old and it connects to a Panasonic DVD Home Theatre sound system with 4 speakers and also attached to a Humax box. It could be just a faulty on off switch as it has mis fired a couple of times in the past.

Firstly is it worth getting it looked at or is that pointless in a 10 year old TV? Secondly what are the options available for an upgrade in terms of compatibility of the sound system, new technology etc etc. I have generally had Panasonics and have been happy with the quality but am open to suggestions.

Cost is not a major issue but we don't watch that much TV but happy to creep towards the £1000 mark if necessary.

I am sure the great and the good of NSC will be there in my hour of need....over to you

You turn the tv on and off using the switch on the tv? Could you just use the remote to do this?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
No it's just that on a couple of occasions I have pushed the switch in and nothing happened but then it clicked in on the 3rd attempt. That's was a while ago now but tonight when I push it in nothing happens at all

Have you tried hitting it hard? It's step 2 after switching it off and back on again, which clearly doesn't work in your case.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
The eqivalent of your telly now would be about £300....£400 these days will buy you a 40" HD freeview etc etc television.....I`d look at Samsung.

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
We bought a Samsung tv 18 months ago, which is fine except that it struggles to connect with Netflix for some reason. After checking t'internet, it seems that this is a fairly common issue with Samsung so you may want to avoid.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My plasma packed up a day before the warranty ended, luckily the fixers said it would've cost the same to fix as a new one!?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I tend to do a ton of research on the internet and then go to Richer Sounds and find that the tv they recommend is basically the same one I've researched but for less money.

I say tend to but I've only bought two tvs in ten years and it was the same bloke in the same Richer Sounds shop who I ended up buying both from. Panasonic ftw imo. Or Sony.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here