Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T UPVC door handles.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The inside handle of our front door is starting to get a little loose when leavered up to deadlock the door.
Are they easy to replace?
If I fit a new one myself, would it affect my home insurance?

Please advise :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Never had to change one myself.
I cant see it effecting your household insurance providing that the deadlock still operates as it did before the handle change. There is not a condition that any changes must be undertaken by a qualified locksmith.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It may be that just the spindle needs replacing, it may have rounded on the corners. Check that first, and tighten the screws from the inside to the
outside handle.
If you need a replacement, be careful.
They come in all different configurations of the spindle position and the screw and cylinder positions.
Draw the handle on a sheet of paper and measure the length, then the distance from the top and bottom to the screw positions. Also the distance
from the top to the centre of the spindle, and the distance from the bottom to the centre of the cylinder position.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Never had to change one myself.
I cant see it effecting your household insurance providing that the deadlock still operates as it did before the handle change. There is not a condition that any changes must be undertaken by a qualified locksmith.

It may be that just the spindle needs replacing, it may have rounded on the corners. Check that first, and tighten the screws from the inside to the
outside handle.
If you need a replacement, be careful.
They come in all different configurations of the spindle position and the screw and cylinder positions.
Draw the handle on a sheet of paper and measure the length, then the distance from the top and bottom to the screw positions. Also the distance
from the top to the centre of the spindle, and the distance from the bottom to the centre of the cylinder position.

I recently replaced one on a set of French doors at the rear of house. It was dead easy but you do have to order the right one. I got mine from these, they seem to have all the different types available:

http://upvcspares4repairs.co.uk/upvc-door-spares-replacement-parts/upvc-door-handles.html
Many thanks for info :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here