Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council house help...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Good day fellow NSC'ers!

As some of you may be aware, I'm the poster that managed to lose his job and house in the space of a month.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help out with a situation that we've found ourselves in right now.

About a month and a half ago we received a phone call out of the blue from the council informing us that the landlord wants his property back (Even though we signed a 25 year lease on this current property) and we are to seek alternative housing via the Homemove website and to get down to Bartholomew Square council office ASAP.
I arranged child care and took time off work the very next day in order to do exactly what the council had asked us to do as I didn't want to waste any time.
During our visit to Bartholomew square we were told in no uncertain terms that we didn't have to go down to the council office at all and were duly sent away.
Then came a phone call from the council informing us that we will be getting some forms to fill out and we need to get them filled out and sent back ASAP. The forms took forever to arrive but as soon as they did we got them filled out and set back straight away, because yet again, my wife and I were eager not to waste any time on this precarious situation...we then learn after several days that the forms we filled out and sent back were not necessary at all.
As you could imagine, we were starting to feel rather frustrated now as we were doing EVERYTHING that had been asked of us, only to then be told we didn't need to do a thing.
Take into consideration at this point that I'm a father of five children who was also in the middle of being made redundant from his job. The stress has been ridiculous.

Now this is where we find ourselves:

A couple of months ago my wife placed a bid (while we were still classed as Band C) on a property on the Homemove website knowing A) darn well there was zero chance of us winning the bidding process on it as we were Band C (Only people who are Band A ever really win these bids) and B) you have to actively bid on properties otherwise your Homemove account will be deactivated. I should add here that this property my wife placed a bid on is in Brighton and I am currently living in Hangleton.
Within the last couple of weeks my wife and I received an email titled 'Offer of Accommodation - Discharge of Duty Final Offer' offering us the house in Brighton. The offer is, take this house or be taken off the council list and be made homeless.
This past Thursday new properties were put up on the Homemove website, one of those properties, I kid you not is absolutely perfect for our needs. It's in Hangleton and it is 20 seconds walk from where I am currently being moved out from. If I look out my window I can see the house for goodness sake!
The upheaval to move to Brighton is detrimental to all of us for health reasons, family reasons and moving costs etc etc.
We have been told there is no chance they will take into consideration our families needs for the property in Hangleton that is on our doorstep as they have offered us something already.

I feel as if we are being treated only as a number and that common sense is not being used in this situation.
I've been in council accommodation since 1997 and have been a model tenant ever since. Never do I fall behind on bill payments etc and I work hard to support my family and always have done. We've also lived in this area for 15 years.

I have councillor Dawn Barnett on our side at the moment and she also agrees that common sense is just not being used in this current situation at present.

I don't expect that anyone will be able to offer any help but thought I'd just ask as this has been a real tough couple of months battling on my own with both job and house issues.

And before anyone says anything, I know that I'm incredibly fortunate to have a council house. I say this to myself daily!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Can't be of any help, sorry, just wanted to wish you all the best.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I do have some sympathy for your plight but I guess that's not what you need right now. It does all seem a little procedural rather than common sense being applied. Given that you already have Dawn Bartlett onside, would there be any mileage in trying to engage your local MP to fight your corner?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Good day fellow NSC'ers!

As some of you may be aware, I'm the poster that managed to lose his job and house in the space of a month.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who can help out with a situation that we've found ourselves in right now.

About a month and a half ago we received a phone call out of the blue from the council informing us that the landlord wants his property back (Even though we signed a 25 year lease on this current property) and we are to seek alternative housing via the Homemove website and to get down to Bartholomew Square council office ASAP.
I arranged child care and took time off work the very next day in order to do exactly what the council had asked us to do as I didn't want to waste any time.
During our visit to Bartholomew square we were told in no uncertain terms that we didn't have to go down to the council office at all and were duly sent away.
Then came a phone call from the council informing us that we will be getting some forms to fill out and we need to get them filled out and sent back ASAP. The forms took forever to arrive but as soon as they did we got them filled out and set back straight away, because yet again, my wife and I were eager not to waste any time on this precarious situation...we then learn after several days that the forms we filled out and sent back were not necessary at all.
As you could imagine, we were starting to feel rather frustrated now as we were doing EVERYTHING that had been asked of us, only to then be told we didn't need to do a thing.
Take into consideration at this point that I'm a father of five children who was also in the middle of being made redundant from his job. The stress has been ridiculous.

Now this is where we find ourselves:

A couple of months ago my wife placed a bid (while we were still classed as Band C) on a property on the Homemove website knowing A) darn well there was zero chance of us winning the bidding process on it as we were Band C (Only people who are Band A ever really win these bids) and B) you have to actively bid on properties otherwise your Homemove account will be deactivated. I should add here that this property my wife placed a bid on is in Brighton and I am currently living in Hangleton.
Within the last couple of weeks my wife and I received an email titled 'Offer of Accommodation - Discharge of Duty Final Offer' offering us the house in Brighton. The offer is, take this house or be taken off the council list and be made homeless.
This past Thursday new properties were put up on the Homemove website, one of those properties, I kid you not is absolutely perfect for our needs. It's in Hangleton and it is 20 seconds walk from where I am currently being moved out from. If I look out my window I can see the house for goodness sake!
The upheaval to move to Brighton is detrimental to all of us for health reasons, family reasons and moving costs etc etc.
We have been told there is no chance they will take into consideration our families needs for the property in Hangleton that is on our doorstep as they have offered us something already.

I feel as if we are being treated only as a number and that common sense is not being used in this situation.
I've been in council accommodation since 1997 and have been a model tenant ever since. Never do I fall behind on bill payments etc and I work hard to support my family and always have done. We've also lived in this area for 15 years.

I have councillor Dawn Barnett on our side at the moment and she also agrees that common sense is just not being used in this current situation at present.

I don't expect that anyone will be able to offer any help but thought I'd just ask as this has been a real tough couple of months battling on my own with both job and house issues.

And before anyone says anything, I know that I'm incredibly fortunate to have a council house. I say this to myself daily!

I sympathise with your situation. What I would suggest is DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER in your attempt to get the Hangleton house in preference to the Brighton one. You will have to hammer away at them by phone, email and personal visits in order to get far enough up the management tree to find someone who is able and willing to make the switch. Hopefully, your councillor will make her presence felt and get you up to the decision making level faster than you can on your own. Try your MP also.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You're not on your own. You've got the support and good wishes of the majority of Brighton fans on this message board. We're right behind you, all the way.
I hope it works out for you. Keep fighting.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I think it's disgustingt that you consider it "fortunate" to have a council home. Sadly with mass immigration the waiting list will only grow.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
And thank you so much again NSC. I was worried about being shut down on this one but to have your support makes me want to fight on!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No experience in this matter, but can you go 'up' the intenal management structure until you speak with someone who can make a decision based on common sense (god forbid anyone at the council will make one of those..) Ask to speak to a manager/supervisor etc.. and ask if they are in a position to change this, if not keep insisting to speak to someone that can - or get the name of that person. I would go down there again and ask to see them in person - even though you 'don't need to'.

I always find it best to a) do it in person because it is harder to say no to someone infront of your face - expecially if they seem a half decent person and b) make lots of noise - speak with the Evening Argus (I personally hate the rag but this is the kind of thing they go for - family of 5 being evicted due to no common sense etc..)

Honestly, those that fight their corner get further in the world than those that don't IMO.

HTH.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Depending how much of a campaign you wish to wage, it may well be worth emailing the entire housing committee with your situation.

details here : http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=884 ( I notice your councillor sits on the Housing committee.. she may be able to pull a few 'legal' strings )

Also, if there are genuine medical needs within your family then a doctor/consultant letter may help.

In my experience the Council Housing officers are not overly helpful and going above their heads may get things rolling in the right direction for you.

Good luck.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
You also need to contact Nick Lewry he is councillor on your ward and is on Housing and New homes committee of City Council. Tony Janio is also Ward councillor.
From what you are saying you have more than enough right to Hangleton House.
Keep us informed of progress and all the best.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Wow guys! I can't believe all your comments! Thank you all so much. The phone calls I've had with the council have been destroying me and making me question myself. I'm so glad I posted this on here now. No more doubting myself.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This is a HUGE concern Ernest. I don't want to lose everything by fighting for the Hangleton property.

Biggest mistake was bidding for the Brighton place especially if you didn't want it, it's like banging your head on a brick wall with the housing section. Might be you have to take the Brighton place as it has been offered to you probably because they saw you bid for it

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Biggest mistake was bidding for the Brighton place especially if you didn't want it, it's like banging your head on a brick wall with the housing section. Might be you have to take the Brighton place as it has been offered to you probably because they saw you bid for it

I hear that mate but as I said we were only bidding to keep the account activated and we were still Band C when the bid was placed, which as I said earlier gives you zero chance of being offered a place.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Wow guys! I can't believe all your comments! Thank you all so much. The phone calls I've had with the council have been destroying me and making me question myself. I'm so glad I posted this on here now. No more doubting myself.

Phoning council is only slightly less painfull than banging your head against a brick wall. Likewise Southern Water,BT,Electric etc, etc.

Stick to your guns.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Phoning council is only slightly less painfull than banging your head against a brick wall. Likewise Southern Water,BT,Electric etc, etc.

Stick to your guns.

Yesterday I was spoken down to in such a way that I just felt sick after the call. I like to think when I talk on the phone that I am polite and eloquent.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
And I'm sure your kids must have schooling needs and such a move could disrupt their education? I know what you mean about being told you have to accept or be knocked off the list, it's bullying.

As for Council housing, my European neighbours moved on in, had their house adapted for 'special needs' and are now looking to buy it 'on the cheap'.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here