Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electrical question (while it's quiet)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Of coarse you can.
The regs only ever mention a "competent" person
With that in mind, you could effectively do any electrics at home but always get a sparky to test it.
I'm fully qualified by the way.

Of coarse you can.
With that in mind, you could effectively do any electrics at home but always get a sparky to test it.
I'm fully qualified by the way.

Thanks, it was just that you never see any of the old type DIY plugs anymore, or come to think of it wires stuck direct into the socket and held in with matchsticks like my father used to do back in the 70s!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I had to rewire the plug on my old portable TV I use for my old computers the other day. Probably the first time in 20 years I have had to do it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am genuinely astonished. I know that appliances come with plugs these days (or batteries - what a racket and pain in the arse that used to be) but . . . but . . . . but it probably explains why although when I throw out an old electrical appliance I open and remove the plug, I have never made use of the ones I've saved. Maybe I should chuck them out.

What about chaging a fuse in a plug? You must have done that.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I fitted my first plug to a TV when I was 9. The mother had thrown a fit about me watching too much telly and cut the plug off with a pair of secateurs.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I hadn't a clue that changing a plug wasn't the norm. Can't remember last time I did, but would cheerfully do it if the occasion arose..... hardly feckin Rocket Science is it?

Be careful the plug Police will find out and kick your front door in. :lolol:

Im a bit of a lad, I've bent the law a bit in the past, it was more of a case of I didn't want to compromise my familiys safety. Again just to emphasis i haven't seen a DIY plug on anything for years but then come to think of it I can't remember the last time I saw two teams in the same division play a friendly

I am genuinely astonished. I know that appliances come with plugs these days (or batteries - what a racket and pain in the arse that used to be) but . . . but . . . . but it probably explains why although when I throw out an old electrical appliance I open and remove the plug, I have never made use of the ones I've saved. Maybe I should chuck them out.

What about chaging a fuse in a plug? You must have done that.

Yeah I've done it all back in the day, I just wanted confirmation off a sparks that there was no reason not to do it with today's appliances

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Same here, I've got loads of them stuffed in a cupboard somewhere.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I went to get some fuse wire for our admitidly old fuse box the other week, only to find that B and Q deem it to unsafe to sell fuse wire to the public!!, they happily sell nail guns and power tools, but not 13am fuse wire for a fuse box specifically designed for the home owner to change the fuse wire!. quick search on ebay and a nice new load arrived 24 hours later- glad the old rusty nail across the fuse terminals held out!!!!!!

Of course you can.
Really? I remember doing some work over Xmas (2004?) to beat some regs due to come in forbidding the amateur (competent or otherwise) to replace the rubber wiring in a lighting circuit.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was taught to wire a plug at school. Some years ago now :)

Yellow/green was earth, brown was live, and blue was neutral. Simple.

The other day we had to wire up an outside light in the back garden. Imagine my surprise when it turns out the wiring is no longer in these colours....

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Really? I remember doing some work over Xmas (2004?) to beat some regs due to come in forbidding the amateur (competent or otherwise) to replace the rubber wiring in a lighting circuit.
He speaketh the truth

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

The other day we had to wire up an outside light in the back garden. Imagine my surprise when it turns out the wiring is no longer in these colours....
BLue = Bottom left. BRown=Bottom right . That was how I learnt. Probably not much use now. Or is it? Not seen modern cabling.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick

Amongst my many electrical qualifications I have which includes the 17th edition to the new amendments, the green book, it never states skilled persons holding certain qualifications.
Obviously you'd never get a job in the industry but it specifies a competant person. Now what quantifies a competant person? To my eyes that means someone who has a good understanding and ability to demonstrate that ability.
I may have lots of electrical qualifications but they may be people who have not been thru college but know just as much as us college goers.
This is clearly why lots of DIYers have a go themselves if they believe they have the knowledge.
Like I said before, always get it tested.
Any new circuit or change of circuit characteristics will need a minor works certificate which is where the normal DIYer would fall down with.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I still use that to remember what goes where.
Do lots of home adding plugs and extra cable length to appliances.Most appliances are imported from Italy here and have two pin plugs whilst Malta has 3 pin like the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here