Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia's female football team beaten 7-0 by 15 year olds

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I've played football all my life since i could walk like most of us on here i am sure. I play for a pretty good 5 aside, 7 aside and use to play for some ok 11 aside teams.

My female friend plays for Wolverhampton ladies and she joined us for a few 7 aside games and she was ok. Her touch we good, she had good vision and was generally better than i thought. It got me thinking if she plays to a standard like this then the top female players must be must better than mine and my teams standard.

However i always still felt that a fit health average (maybe slightly above average) mens team would beat a top female team. The strength speed power alone should give men the edge. Many people use to say to me i was wrong and my teamwould lose to a top female team... well....

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...se-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
This quote made me chuckle:

“We could have had an easier game, but we definitely want to keep testing the girls.”

Presumably they turned down an offer from the Aston Villa first team...

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The boys team was Newcastle Jets U16's, apparently played practically a 0-7-3 formation which Australia tried to play through instead of going over the top. Pretty embarrassing scoreline but from what I've read it didn't look like the management had any interest in actually winning the game.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Think this is just one example that has been blown out of proportion. I am pretty confident that a decent level womens side would beat a Sunday league means team.

They even mention in that article that the womens squad was missing a lot of players and was largely unmatch fit

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Think this is just one example that has been blown out of proportion. I am pretty confident that a decent level womens side would beat a Sunday league means team.

They even mention in that article that the womens squad was missing a lot of players and was largely unmatch fit

So an unfit and weakened national team losing to these 15 year olds is acceptable in there camp ....can you imagine the response if it was the mens team .

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

Match fit... Weakened ... Surely their international bench should have beaten a boys team regardless, whether up for it or not...

I'm still not convinced an international womans team would beat an average to decent sunday league team...

I very much doubt a top 5 womans international team would even get into the conference.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
So an unfit and weakened national team losing to these 15 year olds is acceptable in there camp ....can you imagine the response if it was the mens team .

Like the over reaction to villa losing to their under 21s?

It's a nothing game so really doesn't matter or prove anything

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

One report I read stated that previously they had played a Sydney boys team and had been beaten by more than 7 but the result has been hushed up.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
My son is 15 and a couple of months ago his team played the Albion's u 17s girls at Lancing. It was really interesting to watch. We won three one but the girls played good possession football so when they had the ball they looked dangerous. Always looked to play it out from the goalie. The girl who is with England stood out. Unsurprisingly it was pace that was the differenceand especially noticeable out wide. I am guessing a fairer match up like that one is pretty beneficial.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Like the over reaction to villa losing to their under 21s?

It's a nothing game so really doesn't matter or prove anything

With all due respect losing to an under 21 side of your own club is not on the same scale as an under 15s team.
And your right it was a nothing game probably just like the Villa game.
And agree it doesnt prove anything ,but my point was, can you imagine it happening to a mens international team,there would be meltdown .

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
with all due deference to the equality argument, I really dont think you can compare mens and womens sports as being the same. I am refering to the more physical sports Football, Tennis, Athletics etc. Whatever the pc brigade like to tell us, men and women are physicallly different. I find it laughable for example, that the Womens tennis players demand equal prize money in championships when a long womens tennis final lasts no more than 60 mins and usually 2 quick sets, against the 5 set 6 or 7 hour marathons you get in mens version.With football, a bunch of strapping 15 yr olds are not quite the kids many would have us believe, andas has been said, it was not any where close to a full strength match fit international ready squad, although 7-0 is pretty bad i'll admit. They should be viewed as different versions of the same game. I like womens football and really enjoy watching some of the matches on tv, good competitive games, the last world cup for example was great.I dont think however that we should expect the men and women ever to be abkle to compete on the same field in the same way you get in equestrian sports for example.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
With all due respect losing to an under 21 side of your own club is not on the same scale as an under 15s team.
And your right it was a nothing game probably just like the Villa game.
And agree it doesnt prove anything ,but my point was, can you imagine it happening to a mens international team,there would be meltdown .

I guess you are right. I was more just making the 'doesn't prove anything argument'.

Completely agree that if it was a men's team it would be a absolutely mental meltdown. Even if they then went on to win something!

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I very much doubt a top 5 womans international team would even get into the conference.

There is no way they would compete at at Sussex County (Southern Combination) level in my opinion. The amount of coverage women's football gets is vastly at odds to its skill level. There is nothing wrong with this in itself except there seems to be no acknowledgement (or even an attempt to judge) the standard of the product provided.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here