Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott sacked by Reading

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another club with wild expectations beyond their means. That said they have spent a bit of money and probably should finished higher than they did. But equally sold Reading's best player, albeit he then did nothing after leaving.

When will OTHER clubs learn that you need manager stability to succeed.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Just confirmed on Twitter. Disgraceful treatment in my eyes.
Sorry to hear about the poor quality of your ocular care.

I feel for McDermott, that team was always going to find it hard to challenge the top of the table, especially after flogging their best player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sacked twice by Reading in 4 years.

That is pretty shoddy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lost 6 out of their last 7 and slumped to 17th. Timing seems odd, but I guess they were thrashing out his severance. He'll be alright, probably still getting paid by Leeds as well.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Another club with wild expectations beyond their means. That said they have spent a bit of money and probably should finished higher than they did. But equally sold Reading's best player, albeit he then did nothing after leaving.

When will OTHER clubs learn that you need manager stability to succeed.

After everything he did for the club the last time he was here - steering the club clear of relegation, then two FA cup Q/Fs, a play-off final and a league title in 3 seasons. He deserved at least the summer to make his mark on the team, considering he took over in December and only had January to try and sort out Clarke's mess.

Granted our form was terrible after the Palace game but I'd put that down to 6 loan players going through the motions after securing our safety and 3 first team players out-of-contract who knew they weren't going to get a new deal.

Just seems incredibly short-sighted.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After everything he did for the club the last time he was here - steering the club clear of relegation, then two FA cup Q/Fs, a play-off final and a league title in 3 seasons. He deserved at least the summer to make his mark on the team, considering he took over in December and only had January to try and sort out Clarke's mess.

Granted our form was terrible after the Palace game but I'd put that down to 6 loan players going through the motions after securing our safety and 3 first team players out-of-contract who knew they weren't going to get a new deal.

Just seems incredibly short-sighted.

Propping up a squad with multiple loan players is always a recipe for disaster, we've made that mistake ourselves a few times. No wonder you ended up down there.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
Propping up a squad with multiple loan players is always a recipe for disaster, we've made that mistake ourselves a few times. No wonder you ended up down there.

I totally agree, but that was Clarke's fault, not McDermott's.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Enormously short sighted decision. Glad TB saw the bigger picture last year under CH, where to be honest some of the football was absolutely dreadful (Wigan away). As [MENTION=29434]theroyal[/MENTION] has said, they're packed full of 'couldn't give less of a shit' loanees, just like we were last season.

Stability and faith is the key. Tony has it, the Reading board are idiots.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
They have a great song though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I totally agree, but that was Clarke's fault, not McDermott's.

I rate McDermott, he was one of the names I'd have been happy to see here when we binned the fin. Agree with the consensus, its a very short-sighted decision by your board. We had a very similar run of results with Hughton at the tail end of last season after the "hard work" had been done to stay up. Some people on here wanted him out as well off the back of that ("boring negative football" etc), and look how that turned out.

Thankfully, TB usually has clue.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Your owners are batshit mental and have no clue about running football clubs.

So, it's not a huge surprise, is it.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
He can go back to playing Paddy full time in Emmerdale now.

I was thinking he can rejoin the other Minions.

4d2667a284a838ae8ef1c8b689705609.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here