Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
our recruitment that summer was an absolute disaster barring Baldock and Stockdale who eventually came good

otherwise we had:

Aaron Hughes (ok but rarely fit)
Joe Bennett (exposed in Hyypias wing back obsession)
Nzuzi Toko (who?)
Gary Gardner :)sick:)
Paddy McCourt (bless him)
Chris O'Grady (bless him)
Adrian Colunga (not cut out for it at all)

given that we'd lost PiG, spanish dave, orlandi, ulloa, buckley, bridcutt, upson, ward, lingard from the previous year's squad, it was a serious downgrade in quality

hyypia was still shit though

Looking at that, I'm starting to feel a whiff of sympathy which I certainly didn't at the time. The homeless Pele :lolol:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It was that well timed run for the goal at Bournemouth I think. Like plenty of strikers you are only as good as the service you receive.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I still think there was a player in Colunga!

He showed some real glimpses of quality, but he was so inconsistent. That petulant sending off against Fulham finished him with us...just needless.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
our recruitment that summer was an absolute disaster barring Baldock and Stockdale who eventually came good

otherwise we had:

Nzuzi Toko (who?)

given that we'd lost PiG, spanish dave, orlandi, ulloa, buckley, bridcutt, upson, ward, lingard from the previous year's squad, it was a serious downgrade in quality

A ridiculously expansive style with a much weakened squad...

Who'd have guessed it wasn't going to work out!

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Who was the opening game of that season? Sheff Weds? Whoever it was I remember turning to my mate after half an hour saying we are going down. We undoubtedly would've have done had Hyypia stayed in charge

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Who was the opening game of that season? Sheff Weds? Whoever it was I remember turning to my mate after half an hour saying we are going down. We undoubtedly would've have done had Hyypia stayed in charge

Was that the game we started with O'Grady and Fenelon up front?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

otherwise we had:

Nzuzi Toko (who?)

Tiexeira was very good. Holla wasn't bad, we had at various times Al-habsi,Darren Bent and Elliott Bennett. Wasn't a great squad certainly but the tactics were just weird

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Tiexeira was very good. Holla wasn't bad, we had at various times Al-habsi,Darren Bent and Elliott Bennett. Wasn't a great squad certainly but the tactics were just weird

completely forgot Teixeira- yes he was a good player. Holla was good occasionally

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I remember Brentford away that year, seeing Inigo trying to organise us on the pitch as we were opened up again and again. God we were terrible.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
does anyone know why Lopez and Orlandi left that summer?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Just for a tiny bit of balance, I do seem to remember us absolutely battering someone at home (think it was Cardiff). We played brilliantly that day but just couldn't score. I actually thought things may turn around after that performance but sadly not...

He was a lovely guy, a great defender but a very poor manager (although not helped by the squad that he had at his disposal)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We had decent players in the side that year

Stockdale, Bruno, Calde, Dunk, Greer, Stephens, Baldock, CMS, Lua Lua, Kayal, Solly, Texeira. All played the majority of fixtures. Bennett has had a decent career at that level. Ince started his career strongly

That's an easily good enough side not to be serving up the **** that was on offer that season.

The central midfield was shocking. Gardner terrible, JFC never made it at that level and Holla dismal IMO

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just for a tiny bit of balance, I do seem to remember us absolutely battering someone at home (think it was Cardiff). We played brilliantly that day but just couldn't score. I actually thought things may turn around after that performance but sadly not...

He was a lovely guy, a great defender but a very poor manager (although not helped by the squad that he had at his disposal)

Also we won 2-0 at Elland Road :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here