Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami Hyypia

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Jeff Wood.....

Hoopia was relieved of the captain job at Liverpool many years before he retired. He took it in good grace. That says it all about his leadership potential . . . .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
After two passionate Latinos (both of whom went with swipes toward the club and how it was setup) you can understand that the board maybe wanted a calmer more malleable individual who would accept the role Burke was playing.

After 6 months Sami was man enough to walk and the setup changed and Hughton arrived having been turned down/ignored that previous summer

I wonder if Hughton said he wanted to choose his own players rather than using a director of football. That may have been the reason he was ignored in the summer?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd suggest absolutely massive cock up by Bloom and Barber who both went into denial.
I don't see how the massive up turn in playing budget and the best AMEX season to date is a sign of denial.
If anything it's clearly a sign of admitting guilt and learning from it.

Had Sami been even slightly competent we wouldn't have had this season.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He did us a massive favour in resigning, as he could have stuck around until he was sacked and by then we may have been relegated

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't see how the massive up turn in playing budget and the best AMEX season to date is a sign of denial.
If anything it's clearly a sign of admitting guilt and learning from it.

Had Sami been even slightly competent we wouldn't have had this season.

Appointing Sami and letting Burke choose the players wasn't a massive cock up? We'll have to agree to differ then, we lost two competent managers due to Burke and gained an incompetant one. Not sure I'll ever see that as a blessing. We could have avoided two seasons of rubbish player recruitment

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Sami managed to get one thing very right though, he turned Lewis Dunk into a very good goal scoring defender, OK it wasn't that difficult because Lewis is a carbon copy of Sami when he was playing for Liverpool and he was a world class defender.
Unfortunately he could not do it with any other players.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Bit harsh - we've had a few to compete with him for that, George Curtis and Jimmy Case for starters - you could probably add Melia to that as well. And other big names have flopped as managers - Bobby Moore and Bobby Charlton were pretty useless as managers. My nomination for the worst of the lot would have to be awarded to Spurs though - step forward Christian Gross!

Gross couldn't be the worst football manager of all time though. Aside from Spurs he's done a good job everywhere else.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
47 today.

Have a great day my friend.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well he is back coaching, this time under supervision and with training wheels. https://www.transfermarkt.com/sami-hyypia/profil/trainer/21049

Yep. He’s got a 4 month contract as Asst Manager at FC Haka, who are currently sitting 10th out of 12 in the Finnish top tier with a GD of -17 after 18 games.

He behaved very honourably in resigning his post with us, a fact that I appreciate. He was also a genuinely world-class player. He’s a horrible manager though.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Thank the lord he fell on his sword before it was too late. Absolute car crash of football management when he was with us.

TBs refusal to fire him was the one and only point in his tenure that I’ve had serious concerns about his judgement. I suspect it might have been driven by some guilt of the squad he was given for the job that season.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Thank the lord he fell on his sword before it was too late. Absolute car crash of football management when he was with us.

TBs refusal to fire him was the one and only point in his tenure that I’ve had serious concerns about his judgement. I suspect it might have been driven by some guilt of the squad he was given for the job that season.

That squad was utterly dreadful :lol:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
That squad was utterly dreadful :lol:

our recruitment that summer was an absolute disaster barring Baldock and Stockdale who eventually came good

otherwise we had:

Aaron Hughes (ok but rarely fit)
Joe Bennett (exposed in Hyypias wing back obsession)
Nzuzi Toko (who?)
Gary Gardner :)sick:)
Paddy McCourt (bless him)
Chris O'Grady (bless him)
Adrian Colunga (not cut out for it at all)

given that we'd lost PiG, spanish dave, orlandi, ulloa, buckley, bridcutt, upson, ward, lingard from the previous year's squad, it was a serious downgrade in quality

hyypia was still shit though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here