Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway workers

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Train Guards are calling sickies at the double to supplement their Strike activity !! ( I assume they get paid for sickies but not for striking) Now ticket clippers are complaining of repetetive strain injury..... " Conductors will now use other less onerous techniques such as putting a red cross on tickets with marker pens" I imagine train users who might have had sympathy for the Guards are pretty fed up with them now.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Train Guards are calling sickies at the double to supplement their Strike activity !! ( I assume they get paid for sickies but not for striking) Now ticket clippers are complaining of repetetive strain injury..... " Conductors will now use other less onerous techniques such as putting a red cross on tickets with marker pens" I imagine train users who might have had sympathy for the Guards are pretty fed up with them now.

Stop talking bollocks

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Why would passengers be fed up with someone using a marker pen rather than clipping their tickets. Also given the frequent issues of broken down trains, signal and points issues would passengers really notice if a train is cancelled due to lack of available crew.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?336755-Southern-Rail-STRIKE-details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Another NO nothing , DULLARD post

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I would love to swap why i am chucking a sicky with you so you can have the pain ive had for 5months and ile be the distrought unclipped passenger for a train journey .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have had conductors mark my ticket with a pen for years

indeed, i thought it was old school when i saw one with a clipper recently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
since we probably have some railway workers attention, i have two burning questions

at some stations, notably Gatwick, they have bright blue LED lights on the platforms by doors. whats that about?
on the rail edge of the platforms there a panel ever 10m or so with some markings and a slider widget. whats that about?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Stop talking bollocks

Albionite 1-0 Diablo
(Diablo o.g.)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
since we probably have some railway workers attention, i have two burning questions

at some stations, notably Gatwick, they have bright blue LED lights on the platforms by doors. whats that about?
on the rail edge of the platforms there a panel ever 10m or so with some markings and a slider widget. whats that about?

The blue light is anti suicide I believe - apparently the blue is calming and supposed to stop you leaping in front of my train. I guess there's some science in there somewhere. The slider thing I have no idea.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I agree calling clipping an onerous task is indeed Bollocks. But that is indeed what they say it is. Their words not mine.

Albionite 1-1 Diablo
I'm not sure in the grand game of forum point scoring you're allowed to grant them to yourself but must instead wait for one to be bestowed upon you.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester

I see the first question's been answered. The second one about the panel on the side of the platform with the slider sounds like a datum plate. These are used as a reference to monitor the exact position of the rails to ensure they don't move out of gauge due to settlement of ballast or any other reason. If movement of track went undetected it could eventually lead to part of a train striking the platform edge or another structure.

See figure 6 on this link:
http://www.railsigns.uk/info/other1/other1.html

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here