Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafael Benitez stays as Newcastle United manager

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
They will piss this league like last time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There has already been some 'discussion' on this in the EU referendum thread :lolol:

It is not good news for us, unless he flounces and sends the club into turmoil at Christmas, after a falling out with Pol (tin) Pot, the chairman.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Benitez and his family have kept their family home in the Merseyside area even several years now after he left Liverpool and presumably are quite settled there, with their kids in school etc.

So with that considered, it's probably not so surprising he is staying at Newcastle. The fans there seem to have taken to him and surely had he been appointed a month earlier, he would have kept them up.

Added to which, if he wants to stay in England, what other jobs are available to him right now? The only obvious one would be the Everton job, but you could hardly see him wanting to do anything to sour his reputation with the Liverpool fans, which there'd be a danger of him doing if he took that job.

Benitez is no fool and he has got teams promoted from the Spanish Second Division in the past, so you would imagine he will adapt and will have a pretty good knowledge of the intensity of the Championship and the players capable of playing at that level. Newcastle are also more likely to retain some of their better players with him at the helm.

I would think the only danger there is if Newcastle don't back him with transfer funds. Benitez can get quite political with chairmen/owners if they don't back him to the hilt, but he's in a position of strength at Newcastle because Ashley is always going to be seen as the bad guy with the Newcastle fans if any dispute arises.

If Benitez is there for all 46 matches of Newcastle's Championship campaign, it is very hard to see them not occupying one of the top 2 spots, but I think they are the only 1 of the relegated sides that are going to be equipped to come straight back up.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Benitez and his family have kept their family home in the Merseyside area even several years now after he left Liverpool and presumably are quite settled there, with their kids in school etc.

So with that considered, it's probably not so surprising he is staying at Newcastle. The fans there seem to have taken to him and surely had he been appointed a month earlier, he would have kept them up.

Added to which, if he wants to stay in England, what other jobs are available to him right now? The only obvious one would be the Everton job, but you could hardly see him wanting to do anything to sour his reputation with the Liverpool fans, which there'd be a danger of him doing if he took that job.

Benitez is no fool and he has got teams promoted from the Spanish Second Division in the past, so you would imagine he will adapt and will have a pretty good knowledge of the intensity of the Championship and the players capable of playing at that level. Newcastle are also more likely to retain some of their better players with him at the helm.

I would think the only danger there is if Newcastle don't back him with transfer funds. Benitez can get quite political with chairmen/owners if they don't back him to the hilt, but he's in a position of strength at Newcastle because Ashley is always going to be seen as the bad guy with the Newcastle fans if any dispute arises.

If Benitez is there for all 46 matches of Newcastle's Championship campaign, it is very hard to see them not occupying one of the top 2 spots, but I think they are the only 1 of the relegated sides that are going to be equipped to come straight back up.

It's a long way from Wirral where he lives to Newcastle. About 200 miles.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

They have not played us yet :)

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I fear this means one automatic spot for next season is already wrapped up. Id like to see us play them early on as they may take a little to adjust, but they'll be tough to stop as next season gets going.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
It's a long way from Wirral where he lives to Newcastle. About 200 miles.

True. It is a lot nearer than Valencia, Sevilla or Milan, however. Geography wise, Everton would have been suitable, but as said in my first post, he'd risk sullying his reputation with Liverpool fans if he crossed Stanley Park.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Would have preferred them to appoint an absolute numpty to be honest. Still its not a foregone conclusion that they will p+ss the league.

Quite right, I am sure that if they have any of their 'big time Charlie's left, they may find it difficult stepping down to Champ' level.
It's a completely different experience for them...Hopefully :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It all depends on whether Rafael can keep his current squad together, if he can...

...they're no threat to us.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's a brilliant manager and a winner. I think it's important that, in a marked contrast to the constraints imposed by the Newcastle board on previous managers, (or should that be "coaches" ) , Benitez will have complete control of all playing staff, including transfers. Ashley will be desperate to get back to the Premier League and will give him a big pile of cash to make sure he has what he wants In the transfer market. If Newcastle don't win the league comfortably I think it'll be a major surprise.

He's a brilliant manager and a winner. I think it's important that, in a marked contrast to the constraints imposed by the Newcastle board on previous managers, (or should that be "coaches" ) , Benitez will have complete control of all playing staff, including transfers. Ashley will be desperate to get back to the Premier League and will give him a big pile of cash to make sure he has what he wants In the transfer market. If Newcastle don't win the league comfortably I think it'll be a major surprise.

10 games, 3 wins, and failing to score against Villa.

Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here