Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baldock

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
How the hell does this chap fly under the radar? He runs and runs but never looks like scoring - he cost £1.8m and seems to be the first name on the team sheet. Why?!!

His stats are atrocious (4 goals in 33 appearances)
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43055

Baldock, not luck or fate, was the difference between promotion and staying down.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How the hell does this chap fly under the radar? He runs and runs but never looks like scoring - he cost £1.8m and seems to be the first name on the team sheet. Why?!!

His stats are atrocious (4 goals in 33 appearances)
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=43055

Baldock, not luck or fate, was the difference between promotion and staying down.

He was. Had he not been injured over the winter period we would have gone up.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Another striker that doesn't score goals. In his defence he's a constant menace and has an incredible work-rate that creates space for others, but he does not score enough and wouldn't been too upset to see him go.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Finished the top scorers in the league. With the amount of chances we create, makes you wonder how he only scored 2 after Knockeart and Skalak joined. Still, I like Sam. Does a lot of work off the ball and always seems unlucky not to score!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Because not every football fan is blinded by the goals per game stats and appreciates that some players hard work, determination, team work and selflessness can be a massive contribution to a successful TEAM.

Lets call it Barnes Syndrome.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As soon as I see someone judging a player PURELY on their goal to game ratio I know it's probably not worth reading any further.

How about a comparison of how many goals the TEAM scores when he's been on the pitch, compared to off it? That would be a more worthwhile stat to judge on, whilst still not giving the full story.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Luckily we had a squad last season that was capable of generating goals from all positions. Yes, one more goal from any one of our players might have meant we went up automatically - we can all think of missed chances in games we drew or lost that would have yielded that precious extra point, or two, or three. But blaming Sam for that seems rather harsh.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How many matches did we lose when he started last season? (in the league)

Yes there's room for improvement. Yes, it may be a position we look at strengthening / bringing in competition for Sam, BUT once again, it's a championship manager generation form of analysis to suggests he's a weak link just because his scoring record isn't good...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There are park footballers who try very hard and run around after lost causes, and because of the low standard of football will score 50 goals a season. I agree that balance and dynamism can't be measured on paper, but it's not like Baldock was an amazing foil for Hemed. Hemed did all the holding up, scored the goals, won the headers. Baldock did the running after lost causes, didn't take enough chances and ultimately his lack of goals was a bigger detriment than his all-round play was a benefit

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Luckily we had a squad last season that was capable of generating goals from all positions. Yes, one more goal from any one of our players might have meant we went up automatically - we can all think of missed chances in games we drew or lost that would have yielded that precious extra point, or two, or three. But blaming Sam for that seems rather harsh.

Greer in injury time, at home to CARDIFF was the worst miss I've seen, from any Brighton player, ever. Almost impossible.

Well we only lost five when Stockdale started, and he started ALL of them...

Fromthesouth

Apr 30, 2016
Always thought we looked better as a team with him in it, probably coincidence but when we had our bad spell he was injured, just wish he could have converted a few more chances.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Yes there's room for improvement. Yes, it may be a position we look at strengthening / bringing in competition for Sam, BUT once again, it's a championship manager generation form of analysis to suggests he's a weak link just because his scoring record isn't good...

0 (zero)

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 14.45.33.png

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I like Baldock, he's a good player, and i can see what he brings to the team, is he good enough ? No.
More than happy to have him as quality back up though in the squad.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm not signing up to either the Wilson-walloping or Baldock-bashing clubs, in terms of laying individual blame onto each of their shoulders for not being promoted. For Baldock, I like his intentions and his will to scamper, but for all his hard work I do want more from him as a striker, and even as a link-up player in terms of his touch. I would think we'd be after someone a little more potent, but if he were to stay and come into firing home form, then great, let's have him around the place fighting for his position.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I thought we were talking about Sam Baldock, the guy thats always second to the ball, not in the box when he should be, blown off the ball by large defenders, gives up on a chase very early, hasn't scored many goals as a striker (perhaps Stockdale should score a few more) does a lot of running off the ball, with what tangible end product?
Sorry but he;s had eighteen months to prove himself and has failed completely, his selection was almost automatic as we ran out of strikers in the last three games. He's not the man to take us up and I'm sure Hughton knows that, first man to be subbed on too many occasions to be considered for next season, he will be moved on and we start with a new front line next season.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lets call it Barnes Syndrome.

excellent classification, was going to make the comparison. he's the sort of forward that allows 4-4-2 to function as he drops into midfield to make up the extra man against many sides.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I thought we were talking about Sam Baldock, the guy thats always second to the ball, not in the box when he should be, blown off the ball by large defenders, gives up on a chase very early, hasn't scored many goals as a striker (perhaps Stockdale should score a few more) does a lot of running off the ball, with what tangible end product?
Sorry but he;s had eighteen months to prove himself and has failed completely, his selection was almost automatic as we ran out of strikers in the last three games. He's not the man to take us up and I'm sure Hughton knows that, first man to be subbed on too many occasions to be considered for next season, he will be moved on and we start with a new front line next season.

We sell Baldock and sign 3 new strikers? Yeah seems likely. Hughton has started him every time he has been fit this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here