Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016: England and Wales fans given alcohol ban in Lens

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
England and Wales fans will not be allowed to drink alcohol in Lens around their sides' Euro 2016 game after a 24-hour ban was put in place.

The Group B tie takes place in the French city at 14:00 BST on Thursday, 16 June and will be live on the BBC.

The ban will run from 06:00 local time on Thursday until 06:00 on Friday, with French authorities searching cars travelling into Lens for alcohol.

Feel sorry for anyone who has got a ticket and have now found out that they can't enjoy a drink before or after the game.

Roadrunner

Oct 2, 2003
Littlehampton
The FSF advice suggests that it will not be a total ban on alcohol consumption, rather that 'street drinking' will be banned. Bars, according to this, will remain open:

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/england-wales-matchday-lens-euro-2016-france

No drinking on the streets: The sale, transport and consumption of alcoholic drinks will be banned in the car parks, shuttle buses, coach parks and in all public areas in Lens city centre. The consumption of alcohol will only be permitted in bars (either inside or on the Terrasse) and inside the Fan Zone. This ban will run from 6am on 16th June until 6am on 17th June. Anyone failing to respect this ban will be fined and all alcoholic drinks will be seized.

Is this is proved incorrect then it would just shift the (perceived) problem to places like Arras, which would be used as a stop off point before getting the train into Lens.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Went in 1998 for World Cup and they shut all bars in Lille for the England game ! Went to Lens and the atmosphere was non existent, sad really as it showed how much we English need a drink to get themselves going. Not sure if Lille had a drink ban on day of match.

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
And if you've ever wondered (on a slow work day) how many England fans you can fit in a toilet cubicle when the French police come in to a bar swinging it's 8.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Most England fans staying in Lille or Belgium anyway.

Have read the fan zones will have beer anyway and some bars so no problem

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
To be fair it should be pointed out that all matches in Lens are subject to the same rule:

"Every game in Lens will be given the same alcohol restriction, with the Albania v Switzerland and the Czech Republic v Turkey group games, as well as a round-of-16 match, also being held in the city"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36372446

Something that the new channels seem to be completely ignoring as its not sensationalist enough!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Went in 1998 for World Cup and they shut all bars in Lille for the England game ! Went to Lens and the atmosphere was non existent, sad really as it showed how much we English need a drink to get themselves going. Not sure if Lille had a drink ban on day of match.

i went to that game was one of the best football days i ve had watching England i thought it was really goood massive conga s ect after the game.they didnt stop selling booze in the supermarkets in lille. Are car was packed out with the little bottles you get we cleaned up as well selling them for a euro/pound a bottle got pissed saw us win and came home with a little more than i left with happy days.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The French underestimate the resourcefulness of the Brits abroad.

I also feel gutted for the bar owners of Lens - they missed out on a huge pay day.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here