Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curry House owner jailed 6 years for manslaughter for serving nuts

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
all about that old word TRUST again..............................

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
6 years is not long enough. He knew he was putting lives at risk. Should have been 10 years

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The only good news from this really sad story is that it has highlighted just how deadly nut allegies are. I don't think a lot of people really realise that it can be a quick and horribly chilling way to go.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My son when he was a teenager suddenly developed nut allergy and it was really frightening. He had a meal at home and went out for the evening with his mates. He came back just an hour later, very frightened, and I didn't recognise him. His forehead, cheeks etc. had just swollen horrendously. We got medical attention for him swiftly and he was ok again in a few days.
The rest of us weren't affected by the meal, just him. He still has to be very careful not to eat certain nuts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My gf has a severe nut allergy. I have to make sure that mine are away when she visits. Fortunately, I don't have to hide my teabags though.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've had this at some Indians before - luckily I don't have a full on anaphylaxis response to peanuts but I will be rather hideously 'unwell' and fairly quickly. Seems like deliberate actions rather than accident on part of the owner and he deserves what he's got as a result.

Chinese restaurants are the worst for cross-contamination though. Even if they advertise peanut free dishes, they probably still sell satays.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
If nuts can kill you because of an allergy then you don't go eat somewhere where there is a remote chance they will feed you nuts.You don't take that chance.Fish and Chips,Pizza Express pretty safe but not a Curry House.No way.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
On a related note, a good friend of mine is the chef at a local establishment. One afternoon a lady came in for some cake. She informed them she had a nut allergy and was told by staff they couldn't ensure her the cake would be totally nut free. The lady ended up taking the chance and ended up having and ambulance called and upon arrival the paramedics said "Oh it's you again" The lady went on her way and my mate didn't really think much more about it.

The following fortnight the same lady came back, ordered the same cake, resulting in exactly the same outcome... ???

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is simply a money grabbing bar steward using a cheap version of ground almonds to increase his profits. 2 weeks prior at another of his restaurants a young girl was seriously affected by the same 'ground almonds' containing peanuts. He ignored the warning. Fvcking tosser. Hopefully he'll become well acquainted with black pudding...

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
My brother - a vegetarian - ordered an omelette with no meat. It was delivered containing pieces of ham. The chef explained ‘that’s not meat, it’s ham'

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
6 years is not long enough. He knew he was putting lives at risk. Should have been 10 years

A very sad story. The curry house owner probably thought it wasn't that important, it wouldn't have any dire consequences. He was wrong; I think six years is about right in this case (and it's not often I think the judiciary gets it right!)

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A very sad story. The curry house owner probably thought it wasn't that important, it wouldn't have any dire consequences. He was wrong; I think six years is about right in this case (and it's not often I think the judiciary gets it right!)

No excuse. He owned curry houses. He would have known all about the dangers of allergies. He choose to cut corners and save a few pounds. Utter disgraceful. I stand by my view he should have recieved a 10 year sentence,

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No excuse. He owned curry houses. He would have known all about the dangers of allergies. He choose to cut corners and save a few pounds. Utter disgraceful. I stand by my view he should have recieved a 10 year sentence,

And I stand by my view that he was guilty as charged, he fully deserved the full arm of the law descending upon him, and that a six year sentence is about right. Over to you.............

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
My son when he was a teenager suddenly developed nut allergy and it was really frightening. He had a meal at home and went out for the evening with his mates. He came back just an hour later, very frightened, and I didn't recognise him. His forehead, cheeks etc. had just swollen horrendously. We got medical attention for him swiftly and he was ok again in a few days.
The rest of us weren't affected by the meal, just him. He still has to be very careful not to eat certain nuts.

My better half is allergic to walnuts and pecans. No other nut affects him, in any way.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If nuts can kill you because of an allergy then you don't go eat somewhere where there is a remote chance they will feed you nuts.You don't take that chance.Fish and Chips,Pizza Express pretty safe but not a Curry House.No way.

Exactly. Six years very very harsh in my opinion.

And where have all these fecking allergies suddenly appeared from? Never heard of nut allergies until a couple of decades back. How can such a thing suddenly appear? Is it like asthma which is much more prevalent now because houses are far too clean so kids don't get to adjust to everyday dust. Maybe babies need to be introduced to nuts early in life so their bodies can learn to deal with them?

Researchers, led by Dr. A. Lindsay Frazier of Dana-Farber/Children’s Hospital Cancer Center in Boston, wrote: “Our study supports the hypothesis that early allergen exposure increases the likelihood of tolerance and thereby lowers the risk of childhood food allergy.” They added that their data “support the recent decisions to rescind recommendations that all mothers avoid peanuts/total nuts during pregnancy and breast-feeding.”

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
On a related note, a good friend of mine is the chef at a local establishment. One afternoon a lady came in for some cake. She informed them she had a nut allergy and was told by staff they couldn't ensure her the cake would be totally nut free. The lady ended up taking the chance and ended up having and ambulance called and upon arrival the paramedics said "Oh it's you again" The lady went on her way and my mate didn't really think much more about it.

The following fortnight the same lady came back, ordered the same cake, resulting in exactly the same outcome... ???

Some people are just dicks and know that someone else will look after them.

In my view 6 years seems a bit harsh but I haven't read up fully about the case. I know he cut corners etc. but doubt he meant to kill anyone.

the thing that gets me is that there are people out there committing far worse crimes and getting a lot less. Maybe if those sentences were more just then I might appreciate 6 years being right.

All in all I think that it has been set out as a marker and warning to others about the dangers of cutting corners

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

A young girl nearly died 2 weeks earlier at another of his restaurants from the same allergic reaction to the same ingredient.

He knew exactly what the risks were but chose to ignore the warning. All to save a few pennies. He was happy putting lives at risk rather than dumping the cause of the problem and using proper ground almonds.

6 years isn't enough.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

WOW!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here