Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Why would he cost double in salary? Zamora has left, if Hemed was to get any sort of long term injury we'd be totally screwed. If Murray can come on an acceptable wage to the club we should be interested. He's a clever player, never relied on pace. With our quality wingers i'm sure he'd score a lot of goals.

He's on big money at bmuff and on a two year contract.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
So you think he'd give up the £3m he is due?
Or do you think bmuff will pay him off?

If they paid him up one year of that deal it saves them 1.5m. If we then offered him a two year deal on 15k a week he will be financially just as well off. I'm sure Zamora was on a similar wage. Murray is 3 years younger? And realistically, does Murray want to spend the last two years of his playing career not even in the match day squad. I can't see a premier league team taking him now. But a top end championship side yes, he lives in the city, won't have to move house. We flogged Hemed to death last year and he also played a lot of games for Israel. If he were to pick up a long term injury, Murray would be ideal.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If they paid him up one year of that deal it saves them 1.5m. If we then offered him a two year deal on 15k a week he will be financially just as well off. I'm sure Zamora was on a similar wage. Murray is 3 years younger? And realistically, does Murray want to spend the last two years of his playing career not even in the match day squad. I can't see a premier league team taking him now. But a top end championship side yes, he lives in the city, won't have to move house. We flogged Hemed to death last year and he also played a lot of games for Israel. If he were to pick up a long term injury, Murray would be ideal.

Albion are going to buy 2 strikers to replace Zamora and Wilson and to as back up to Hemed and Baldock or I'm a banana. (Assuming COG is sold/goes out on loan again). Thats not in doubt.
Whether Murray would be ideal or available or value for money or likely to earn his fee/wages back when sold is in doubt. Although you're a brave man if you suggest that on here.
Hemed played 90 minutes only 9 times last season out of his 44 appearances. Not exactly flogged to death but yes we did rely on him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Albion are going to buy 2 strikers to replace Zamora and Wilson and to as back up to Hemed and Baldock or I'm a banana. (Assuming COG is sold/goes out on loan again). Thats not in doubt.
Whether Murray would be ideal or available or value for money or likely to earn his fee/wages back when sold is in doubt. Although you're a brave man if you suggest that on here.
Hemed played 90 minutes only 9 times last season out of his 44 appearances. Not exactly flogged to death but yes we did rely on him.

As a replacement for Zamora, Murray is a good fit and I'm surprised anyone suggests otherwise. Murray has scored goals everywhere he has gone.
The debate seems to be whether that replacement is worth £3m over 2 years.

I would expect any striker coming in to be on £15 - £20k per week. With a minimum of £2m transfer fee.
That's £3.5m - £4m over 2 years.

If he's available, it seems a no-brainer to me.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

Agreed. I'm hoping for a vydra type to supplement the squad and put a lot more pressure on Baldock. Yes, I'll be brave. 2 year deal on 15k a week, Murray would be value. :)

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
As a replacement for Zamora, Murray is a good fit and I'm surprised anyone suggests otherwise. Murray has scored goals everywhere he has gone.
The debate seems to be whether that replacement is worth £3m over 2 years.

I would expect any striker coming in to be on £15 - £20k per week. With a minimum of £2m transfer fee.
That's £3.5m - £4m over 2 years.

If he's available, it seems a no-brainer to me.

Sense at last.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Kenwyne Jones has just been released by Baadiff . get his attitude right i would certainly take a look at him .

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He scored 3 goals in 21 Prem League appearances last season. (started 8, substituted in 13)

Last season is hardly a fair indication on his goal scoring abilities.
He played for two teams that were struggling.

15 in 35 appearances the season before that in Prem & Championship.

As a replacement to Bobby I really don't see what the objection is.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

I sincerely hope they do not buy two strikers as "back up" to Hemed and Baldock. I'm a big fan of Tomer and SB does a lot of unheralded work but am firmly of the opinion that we need two more who are very much potential starters. After all, I very much doubt CH and co expected James Wilson to be a back up when we brought him in and a fit BZ would have started as frequently as possible (even though that was a fingers crossed job.) A pacy sniffer and an aerial threat would be ideal.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last season is hardly a fair indication on his goal scoring abilities.
He played for two teams that were struggling.

15 in 35 appearances the season before that in Prem & Championship.

As a replacement to Bobby I really don't see what the objection is.

But surely it was a fair response to the post?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think we need 2 strikers to back up Tomer and Sam more a case of 2 strikers to compliment and alternate with them so we get a full 90 mins action from them all and have cover for injury etc. In most matches CH substituted both strikers during the game. Wouldnt it be great to have 4 like Hemed. Baldock, Murray and Vydra for choice. Whether or not that is possible financially I wouldnt know.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He has scored goals everywhere he has gone...

Yes he scored 3 for Bournemouth.
In a struggling team, where he was used intermittently.

Nothing wrong with my statement in the first place was there?

3 is not what I would call ''goals where ever he has gone'' ...the quality if the team is irrelevant in context....my point would be that suddenly Murray becomes the Messiah ...personally I'm not so sure...still we will see what happens in time :)

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I sincerely hope they do not buy two strikers as "back up" to Hemed and Baldock. I'm a big fan of Tomer and SB does a lot of unheralded work but am firmly of the opinion that we need two more who are very much potential starters. After all, I very much doubt CH and co expected James Wilson to be a back up when we brought him in and a fit BZ would have started as frequently as possible (even though that was a fingers crossed job.) A pacy sniffer and an aerial threat would be ideal.

Even more reason to look at a "potentially free/cheap" Murray IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here