Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calde's Open Letter on the Club Website

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Simply Thank you all!

Hola, It’s been a difficult month for the BHAFC family, but just in terms of results. I’ll explain that later.

Last Tuesday, after the defeat in the playoffs, I was told that my career as a Brighton & Hove Albion had reached the end.

Firstly I felt devastated, then sad, followed by a lot emotions, none of them positive. But I am person who always tries to be positive and in this case I had to do the same.

I started to think about the time when I made my debut, fighting to escape relegation from League One, when we trained in a training ground that wasn't even a training ground and playing games in a stadium that wasn’t a stadium either.

And then, when I was leaving the new 'proper' training ground, I said to myself, "Wow… I have played 231 games, scored 19 goals, now we play in a beautiful stadium, and we are disappointed because we should be in the Premier League. I thought I ought to be proud of having been part of all this."

So I stopped crying and I started enjoying all these memories. And then I realised that the most important were all those individuals whom I worked, lived, shared experiences with, and my gratitude to them, so...

Thanks first to my family, without them all this would not have been possible. It’s going to be difficult to explain to my four-year-old son that Daddy is not playing for Brighton & Hove Albion any more, his first English word was Seagulls, fact! My seven-month-old daughter was born in Brighton, we were sure about this decision.

My wife is now checking all the clubs around Brighton, she wants to live here, we love it: it’s not England, it’s just Brighton.

Obviously thanks to every single one working with and for Brighton & Hove Albion, to all the managers and staff I’ve worked with, AITC, people working at the training ground, academy managers and players… from the chefs, to the cleaners, to the chairman.

I cannot name everyone, because there are too many good people involved. But I want to highlight my teammates. I’ve been with some very good players but most importantly, good people, they have made me enjoy so much throughout these seven seasons.

Every single day I've enjoyed training and working with them; being so far from home, they have been my family and friends. As I said before I cannot name all of them, because I don't want to leave anyone out.

Finally, but trust me, is a very, very special part of this letter for the fans. I cannot thank the fans enough for all the support and love you have given me, since the very first day, you have made me feel unbelievably proud of being part of this club, too many times astonished and ashamed because I have never thought I deserved so much appreciation!

Fans are the real blood of football in general, and clubs in particular. Without you nothing would be possible, and Brighton & Hove Albion has high quality blood. You are amazing, and you have made me understand that the most important thing is not just winning games, but trying your best to do it.

And you are right, as I said at the beginning of this letter, maybe the results haven’t been the ones we all fairly deserved, but you are extremely proud of being Albion supporters, and that’s it.

For me, seeing fans waiting desperately for Saturday 3pm, to enjoy with their team, doesn’t matter the result, that’s it. Seeing kids in the school or in the parks with Albion shirts instead of the big clubs and easy ones, that’s it. We have done it, and I do feel part of this.

So, just to end, like I said, I will try to remember all those memories, always with a smile in my face, because all of you have created a wonderful fairy tale, but as every tale it has to have an end.

So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to.

Thanks, gracias, eskerrik asko!

P.S. If they ask you... Yes, I did score with my face

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/inigo-calderons-open-letter-3121129.aspx

"So, many, many thanks and see you soon, because it’s not a goodbye, I know I will come back, I have to."

Last edited by a moderator:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Finally, but trust me, is a very, very special part of this letter for the fans. I cannot thank the fans enough for all the support and love you have given me, since the very first day, you have made me feel unbelievably proud of being part of this club, too many times astonished and ashamed because I have never thought I deserved so much appreciation!

A class act :)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Think we maybe missing a trick letting Calde go , a Role in the U21's would be perfect for both parties. After reading that , i feel a bit guilty and i've done nowt wrong .

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
More bl**dy tears. For goodness sake.......

Love you Calde:love::clap2::cry::albion2::cry:

See you soon:love:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Think I have something in my eyes.

The guy is pure class in everything he does. Hope we see him back soon.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Think we maybe missing a trick letting Calde go , a Role in the U21's would be perfect for both parties.
I don't think he wants that right now, I expect he wants to play somewhere for another couple of seasons, and I don't blame him. Then he can come back.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He will be back when ready, I suspect he believes he can get another contract elsewhere and if ever a player deserved one it is Calde.

So just think of this as a small holiday away then the great man will return.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I don't think he wants that right now, I expect he wants to play somewhere for another couple of seasons, and I don't blame him. Then he can come back.

Yep thats probably true , he could walk into most if not all league 1 sides i would imagine , still gutted for him though , still i'm sure as he said we have not seen the last of The Face .

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Extremely moving and heartfelt .A true gent. Such as shame and hopefully the club will find a place for him in the future. Very best wishes wherever he goes. How refreshing to hear a footballer so appreciative of what he had and the relationship he cherishes with BHAFC forever cemented. Brought a tear or 3 to my eyes as I read the letter out to my dear old dad.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Top player and a great man. Lovely letter. He will be missed. Hope a local club still pick him up and he comes back here in some capacity once his playing days are done. Best of luck

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't go to the appreciation night as I hate the idea of walking into a pub full of strangers and saying 'Hi, I'm Triggaaar', but I wish I'd gone anyway now :(

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I love Calde.

It's brilliant when you take to someone, like Albion fans have to him, when you read that the love is returned in bucketfuls. Not just for the fans, but for our town. I'd always assumed that he'd be off to the Basque Country as soon as he'd finished with us, but to read how he wants to stay here is lovely.

He will come back, I am sure. Tony will have promised him as much.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What a guy, humble and gracious to a fault. Calde you deserved all of the adulation and respect the fans gave you and more. Wherever you end up know that we will be watching all a little sadder for the fact you are pulling on another clubs shirt, but they only have you on loan, you are forever a Seagull.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
:cry::cry::cry:

I'm gutted he is leaving and i can't imagine there is a single Albion fan who isn't, even if it was probably inevitable. I'm glad he and his family are staying living in Brighton.

There has to be a role for him in the future. He will come back for sure.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here