Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another play-offs thread

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sky Sports asked various guests on Sky Sports Now what changes they would like to see in light of the FA's proposed changes.

Chris Powell's proposals

2. Third-placed finish straight to play-off final

Brighton were dumped out of the play-offs despite finishing the season third with 89 points

POWELL SAYS: "If you finish third after 46 games you should go to Wembley. The sixth-place team should play the fifth team in a one-off game at the fifth-placed team's ground because they finished higher and should have the advantage. The winner of that plays the fourth-placed team in a one-off at their ground and then the winner of that plays the third-placed team at Wembley. The handicap is there for wherever you finish in the league and I feel this should happen in the play-offs."

Full story on Sky Sports

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sky Sports asked various guests on Sky Sports Now what changes they would like to see in light of the FA's proposed changes.

Chris Powell's proposals

2. Third-placed finish straight to play-off final

Brighton were dumped out of the play-offs despite finishing the season third with 89 points

POWELL SAYS: "If you finish third after 46 games you should go to Wembley. The sixth-place team should play the fifth team in a one-off game at the fifth-placed team's ground because they finished higher and should have the advantage. The winner of that plays the fourth-placed team in a one-off at their ground and then the winner of that plays the third-placed team at Wembley. The handicap is there for wherever you finish in the league and I feel this should happen in the play-offs."

Full story on Sky Sports

Just 3 matches instead of the current 5. Can't see the money men agreeing to that - even if it does make sense.

Not that anyone could ever convince you any form of playoff should happen.:thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Noticeable that ALL third placed teams in the three leagues lost out to the sixth team. Why? Because the third team had big games last day of the season and the sixth rested players.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Noticeable that ALL third placed teams in the three leagues lost out to the sixth team. Why? Because the third team had big games last day of the season and the sixth rested players.

And sometimes it's the 3rd placed team who gets to rest players. Whether or not that is an advantage is arguable anyway - more than enough teams have rested players and then been off the pace the week after. Swings and roundabouts.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
But if there was a gap between the top two places and then 3rd and 4th were seperated by a 1 goal goal difference, then it wouldn't be fair on 4th place.

I would be happy with video technology being used so that a bad refereeing decision cannot change the game.

I also think the two games in 4 days just after the final league game of the season just 4 days prior, is also a lot to ask as well. The first round should be one game and through to the final, giving the highest ranking team the home advantage.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here