Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New deals for three; five released

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion have offered new contracts to Player of the Season runner-up Bruno, and goalkeepers Niki Maenpaa and Casper Ankergren.

Club captain Gordon Greer, Inigo Calderon, Andrew Crofts, Bobby Zamora and Adam Chicksen won't be offered new deals, and will leave at the end of June.

Loan players Steve Sidwell and James Wilson each return to their parent clubs – Stoke City and Manchester United respectively.

Manager Chris Hughton said, "It never gets any easier to make these decisions, or to deliver the news to players – particularly on the back of such a good season.

"In the case of Gordon and Calde, there is the added factor of their standing with the club. They are our two longest-serving players in the current squad, and have each achieved so much for this football club.

"Similarly with Andrew Crofts, he has been an excellent servant across two spells here. He's another who's given so much to the club.

"With Bobby, his history with Brighton was written long before I arrived, but he has only added to that in this past season, with his performances, goals and contribution in the dressing room.

"Adam is a fantastic young professional, and while he hasn't been able to breakthrough into the first-team here, I am certain he has a bright future ahead of him and plenty to offer going forward.

"On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank them all for their efforts and wish them the very best for the future. They are welcome back here at any time, and each of them has been an absolute pleasure to manage."

Chairman Tony Bloom added, "I would like to thank each of the five players for their efforts on behalf of the club, but in particular four players whose names loom large in the history books of Brighton & Hove Albion.

"Gordon has been our captain over the past six seasons and has been a key part of our team since his arrival from Swindon. Leading us to the League One championship in 2011, and three top-six finishes in the Championship, he has shown great passion and determination for the club.

"Since he arrived in 2010, Calde has been an inspiration – on and off the pitch. His achievements as a player: coming in and helping stabilise the team in 2010; winning the League One title in 2011; and helping us to three playoff campaigns have earnedhim cult status in the city. It's not just his work on the pitch which have made him so popular with our supporters; his work in the community has been rightly recognised with a number of personal awards and accolades.

"Crofty has been a great servant to us, across two separate spells with the club, spanning five years in total. He was captain in his first spell, and has been equally inspirational this time around. He has been extremely unfortunate in injuring his cruciate ligament twice in his most recent spell.

"Bobby is arguably the club's greatest-ever striker and he has had a fantastic career, including that unforgettable first spell with the Albion – and this season's contribution has been marvellous and such a thrill for all our fans. The label of ‘legend’ is perhaps overused, but there is no question that Bobby has attained this status with Brighton and Hove Albion."

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Surprised that the club isn't offering Calde some kind of role.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Horribly tough call, and total respect to CH and the club for handling it in such a dignified and downright decent manner. Respect to the manager and obviously to the players.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
All good things must come to an end eventually, alas.

Model professionals, each and every one of them.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Genuinely really upset about Calde. Also didn't think I would be sad about Greer but am

More so than Bobby as I think he will retire and decided that a few months ago.

I am 28 for goodness sake, yet am now sat all upset about never seeing Inigo again. Has he been here long enough for a testimonial?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Lets hope there is a role for one or two at the club; BZ would be very knowledgeable i would imagine!

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
It looks as though we wont be offering Gordon another year.

Have to admit to being surprised. I thought he was terrific when he came back in a couple of weeks ago, given how long he was out for. I guess if he wants to start every week he's had to move on.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
All to be expected - as CH says they're welcome back here anytime.

Was wonderful to have another year with Bobby, GG has been an inspirational and successful captain, and I will cry if I think too hard about Calde leaving.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Thanks for the memories Gordo, Calde, Bobby and Crofty best of luck wherever you go! Gutted that we did not offer Calde at least a coaching role or sports psychologist

He may want to keep playing for a couple of more years.

I echo the other sentiments though.

Thanks for everything these players have given the club while they have been here. All completely model professionals

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Surprised that the club isn't offering Calde some kind of role.

Gutted that we did not offer Calde at least a coaching role or sports psychologist

If there is a suitable vacancy and he's the best candidate then by all means give him a job.
I'm not a fan of the "jobs for the boys" approach that persists at football clubs. Cricket clubs are even worse for it.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I'm really sad about Calde. I was hoping he'd stay here forever and eventually we'd build a big statue in his honour - Christ the Redeemer style.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Surprised to see Casper retained, saddened but not surprised to see Bobby and Calde go.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Expected Calderon's departure but genuinely gutted about Greer. Great servant to the club, massively under valued during his time here and got no real goodbye. I really did think he'd be given a new contract.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Thanks for the memories Gordo, Calde, Bobby and Crofty best of luck wherever you go! Gutted that we did not offer Calde at least a coaching role or sports psychologist

He probably wants to kick a ball on a pitch for a year or three more and would be held back if he stayed. I would bet he will be back again in a few years, just like Butters, Cullip etc, etc

Given that Greer is going that means they are confident in keeping Dunk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here