Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bobby Zamora - was it the right decision to bring him back this season?...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Don't get me wrong, we all know that Bobby is a legend at the club and always will be but was it the right decision to sign him and did we get value from him this season?

Undoubtedly the first 6 months went well with Bob notching regularly match winning goals. However due to a combination of injury and fatigue as well as possibly a loss of form when he was playing, the last 4 months were a bit of a wash out and we were undeniably short of forward cover for the last 2-3 months of the season which may have cost us.

So the question is, were we right in re-signing Bobby this season and I guess secondly would anyone give him a further years contract?

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
To answer your second question first, I fear that Bobby may have played his last professional match so there may be no decision to make.

I think we were right. The signing gave the whole club impetus from the off and many of his contributions were decisive when he played. I think we may have got what we hoped for.

The other strikers were a real mixed bag (but that doesn't mean that Zamora was a bad signing)

Hemed is the classic form player isn't he. Out of form he doesn't look great but on his day he was very good. For whatever reason Wilson underperformed I think. Baldock really worked hard but the goal tally wasn't there

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
was it the right decision to sign him and did we get value from him this season?
Yes.

due to a combination of injury and fatigue as well as possibly a loss of form when he was playing, the last 4 months were a bit of a wash out and we were undeniably short of forward cover for the last 2-3 months of the season which may have cost us.
During the January transfer window the club knew Bobby wouldn't be up to it, so we could have brought more in. We brought Wilson in, and he looked to be brilliant. He then got sick, and hasn't been the same since.

So the question is, were we right in re-signing Bobby this season
Yes.
would anyone give him a further years contract?
Contract to do what exactly? His playing days are over.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Don't get me wrong, we all know that Bobby is a legend at the club and always will be but was it the right decision to sign him and did we get value from him this season?

Undoubtedly the first 6 months went well with Bob notching regularly match winning goals. However due to a combination of injury and fatigue as well as possibly a loss of form when he was playing, the last 4 months were a bit of a wash out and we were undeniably short of forward cover for the last 2-3 months of the season which may have cost us.

So the question is, were we right in re-signing Bobby this season and I guess secondly would anyone give him a further years contract?
Yes
No

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Contract to do what exactly? His playing days are over.

Depends what he sees his future as. If he's got an interest in coaching then there could be a role at the academy, as the word was that he was an inspirational figure in the dressing room.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many points did his goals win us? When you look at that, he turned out to be a good signing

This is one of those questions that are impossible to answer correctly. He scored the second v Charlton, without his goal, would Hemed have scored his? The spirit of this question takes Zamora out of the team entirely. Obviously we wouldn't play with 10 men, so how do we know the person who played in his placed wouldn't have scored the same goal he scored against Burnley to win a point, or two against them giving us more points? How important is the win to our momentum, in following games, etc.

Simply taking his goals away, ignoring everything else:

Leeds - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Bristol City - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Burnley - draw becomes a loss = 1 point
Birmingham - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Charlton - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Blackburn - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Huddersfield - win becomes a draw = 2 points

13 points.

Which means instead of finishing third in the table, play off spot. We finish 5th in the table, play off spot.

So at the end of the season, how important were those goals, really?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
This is one of those questions that are impossible to answer correctly. He scored the second v Charlton, without his goal, would Hemed have scored his? The spirit of this question takes Zamora out of the team entirely. Obviously we wouldn't play with 10 men, so how do we know the person who played in his placed wouldn't have scored the same goal he scored against Burnley to win a point, or two against them giving us more points? How important is the win to our momentum, in following games, etc.

Simply taking his goals away, ignoring everything else:

Leeds - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Bristol City - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Burnley - draw becomes a loss = 1 point
Birmingham - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Charlton - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Blackburn - win becomes a draw = 2 points
Huddersfield - win becomes a draw = 2 points

13 points.

Which means instead of finishing third in the table, play off spot. We finish 5th in the table, play off spot.

So at the end of the season, how important were those goals, really?

But would that of given us the momentum, the will to succeed going into next season ?

Sea Eagle

Jun 23, 2011
Yes - he scored important goals, gave everyone a boosts excitement when he signed, provided some leadership for younger members of the team and was a key factor in the spirit of togetherness.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008

He is one of the less well remunerated players at he club and is on 'pay per play'. I can tell you that we have had amazing value from Sir Bob, helped by the fact he wanted to come home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes, great lift to the club at the start of the season. and yes to signing if fit enough to turn in a half dozen games, but i fear the rumours he has kicked his last ball professionally.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Yes - he scored important goals, gave everyone a boosts excitement when he signed, provided some leadership for younger members of the team and was a key factor in the spirit of togetherness.

This. You can't put 'points' tally on what he brings to the rest of the team. On the pitch he was a leader and a legend. Reminds me of the old days of footballers playing for their team, not their bank balance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here