Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play offs

kevbha

Feb 5, 2012
newhaven east sussex
All the teams that finished in last place in the playoffs are going to Wembley. I know everyone knows the rules before the season starts. It just seems a bit unfair that's all

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
All the teams that finished in last place in the playoffs are going to Wembley. I know everyone knows the rules before the season starts. It just seems a bit unfair that's all

To be honest.......i would take a play off place right now for next season......yes it seems unfair and well it could be argued we were in some ways cheated in some of the last games fact is it's over and we have to start again and come back stronger..

I feel for the younger fans who have not experienced the anguish of an agonising near miss,i remember missing out in 1991 to Nott's County ruined my summer and it took until the start of the next season to get over it,that said that same season well the end of it started a downwards spiral culminating in the War years and eventual loss of the Goldstone......NOW THAT WAS REALLY UNFAIR...

Fear not we have already made our 1st signing of the summer......The Manger..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Barnsley wont beat Millwall I don't think though

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was thinking this. It seems inherently unfair to narrowly miss out on automatic promotion over a 46 game league season and then to suddenly find yourself in a sudden death cup tie getting beaten by a team who finished a number of points and places lower than you. Teams in the play-offs, once its clear that they are in the play-offs also have the opportunity to rest players and it is inevitable that some teams (not necessarily those who came 3rd) will be better at playing cup tie style games than others. The approach to grinding out results week after week in league matches is different to the approach to cup ties. Also teams that finish 3rd may often be at a psychological disadvantage having failed to make an automatic slot whereas teams in the play-offs will still feel a sense of forward momentum. I understand that the roulette nature of the play-offs can provide entertaining football, great drama, good tv, and have the effect of prolonging interest in the season for a good number of clubs in each league who are outside the automatic promotion places but it still feels wrong, particularly this season, when all 3 clubs coming 3rd have been drummed out of the play-offs by teams finishing 6th.

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
I've always thought the highest placed team should be given a one goal start in the semi final and possibly final in recognition for their league efforts.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
A simpler solution using this season as an example...

No two-leg ties; highest place team gets home advantage until Final.

Round 1
Derby v Sheffield Wednesday

Semi-Final
Hull v Winner of Round 1

Final
Brighton v Winner of Semi-Final

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why not be radical and scrap promotion from the playoffs but instead offer a financial prize which then helps towards the budget for the next season ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here